Thread: Extracting Vocals from a DVD

Default Extracting Vocals from a DVD

I'm doing some random editing work (fan made stuff) to teach myself some new techniques. It's basically a music video but I want to throw some special effects in.
    What I want to do is edit a clip in where people are talking, problem is that most of the time there's annoying background music of sounds from the clip itself that pretty much ruin your day!

Anyway since I'm ripping it directly from DVD I figured it must be possible to get only the vocals off since the audio on a DVD is often set up for 5.1 surround sound (this particular one is) and the center channel is mostly used for vocals. So get the center channel, and I'm all done.
    What I need to know is how to split the different channels properly. I know it's possible to some extend since I did it before but I have no clue what software I used. It was some sort of AC3 editor/splitter/converter if I'm not mistaking.

Anyway if someone could shed some light on this issue you'd be a great help!

Thanks,

Tiger

Blog Entries

if you import the clip into a 5.1 capable editor you will get the option to show all the channels seperately - but you will need a fully fearuted editor to do this - not a sub 100 quid lite version - afaik.

Also the conventional wisdom in mixing music for 5.1 is NOT to use the dialogue (centre) channel for the lead vocal. A lot of the time the engineer will mix the lead vocal as a centre panned signal between the left and right speakers. There are several reasons for this, but mostly it avoids the vocal sounding like it was pasted on.

If your lead vocal is indeed alone in the centre channel, then as Mark said, something like Nuendo, Logic Pro or Cubase will be able to extract it. But their little cousins won't have the multi-channel support necessary.

If your lead vocal (as is more likely) is mixed in with the music on the left and right channels, then isolating it is more like trying to extract the egg from a sponge-cake after it's baked!

Yup you're right :P. I found a trail program that at least separated the channels but the center channel indeed still has music in it, though a bit less.

Is there another approach to this? I dunno, throwing some filters over it Audacity or something? Doesn't have to me perfect, as long as the background music is significantly less in volume then the actual vocals.

I've found this VST plugin:

Voice Trap Plug-in

I have no idea how good or bad it is.

You'll need an editor that supports VST Plug-ins - I think Audacity does.

It does, according to the notes.

Thanks! I'll give this a try!

There are a few vocal isolator vst plugins around, none are great, but it's giving a few different ones a try, you might be lucky.