Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Studio 8 Platinum and HDV Editing help

Default Movie Studio 8 Platinum and HDV Editing help

Hi. Forgive any noobishness but I'm a learner. Just got myself a new camcorder - Samsung HMX20C that shoots in full HD. No problem with getting the MP4s onto the comp but it when I try to edit the preview is juddery. I've read through the Help and it suggests using Cineform HS Codec to convert to avi and make editing smooth again. No problem so far but what do I do when I'm done editing. Help says:

'If your intermediate files were rendered using the CineForm HD codec, you don't need to replace the intermediate files with the transport streams'

This doesn't mean much to me.

PLease can anyone help with the next step. I'm trying to get back to HDV to author and then burn on to DVD.

The help goes on to say to right click the rendered file and chose replace from the menu and then:

"Browse to the MPEG-2 transport stream that corresponds to the intermediate file, and then click Open."

Not sure what that means.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Blog Entries

This type of cam are great for point and shoot convenience but the video they rpoduce is NOT HDV.
    It is far more compressed and complex for editors to munch on.

I suspect the cineform codec is getting upset cos of this.

Suggest you try transcoding to a more etiable format ( like SD dv) using the free convertor ' super c'.

None of these consumer solid state cams are the first choice if you want to edit video.

Thanks Mark. I'll take a look at Super C. However, there is no error here it is just a lack of knowledge from a learner. The has worked fine and converted to avi. The avi (although it does not look as good) then is smooth in the preview. I just need to know how to use the software to get it back to the better quality (HDV) image.

Blog Entries

Hi Mikey,

A couple of things I think we need to clarify here.

1. If you've converted it to a standard definition avi and that's what you're editing, that's the best quality you're going to get. You can't convert it "back" to some HD format. The excep[tion to this is if you create "proxy" files - lower quality copies of your HD files for editing and swap them with their HD equivalents when you come to render. I sort of think this is what you're trying to do here, but the message your getting doesn't help me much. :(

2. What you see in the preview windows is precisely that - a preview. It is designed to give you a quick look at what you will be producing when you finally render your project, an approximation, if you like. And it's designed so that it loses quality in order to keep playback at a reasonable frame rate. If the preview window could play everything at full quality at 25/29.97 fps then we wouldn'thave to wait hours for a movie to render.
    In other words - don't judge a film by the preview quality. Render a small section and play back on the target device to get a true picture.
    Tim

Tim,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. The 'proxy file' approach is what I am trying to achieve here as guided by Studio's Help. This is what it says about working with proxy (intermediate) files:

If you're working on a system with limited processing power, converting to an intermediate, lower-resolution format will streamline the editing process and allow you to preview your project.

This feature is available only in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture your HDV clips. For more information, please see Capturing HDV Clips.

Start a new project.

Add your captured HDV clips (MPEG-2 transport streams) to the timeline.

Render your clips to an appropriate intermediate format.

You can verify a template's codec by looking at the Video format drop-down list on the Video tab of the Custom Template dialog.

If you're performing frame rate or frame size conversion, ensure the Video rendering quality is set to Best on the Project tab of the Custom Template dialog.

Destination
    Intermediate Format

24p DVD
    Render an .avi file that uses one of the following codecs:

Sony YUV (offers the highest quality, but requires a high-performance drive array).

CineForm HD (offers excellent quality with good playback performance).

Sony NTSC DV Widescreen (use the NTSC DV Widescreen 24p (2-3-3-2) pulldown .avi template).

Windows Media HD
    Render an .avi file using one of the following templates. Choose the template that matches your HDV source:

HDV 720-30p intermediate.

HDV 720-25p intermediate.

HDV 1080-60i intermediate.

HDV 1080-50i intermediate.

After rendering is complete, you're ready to start editing on the timeline.

It goes on to say

You can use native HDV footage (called transport streams) files just like any other supported media type on the timeline. Depending on your workflow, you may want to convert them to a lower-resolution intermediate format for efficient timeline editing and previewing.

This feature is available only in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Import the clips from your HDV camera to your local hard drive. For more information about importing, please see Capturing HDV Clips.

If you're editing on a computer with limited processing power, convert your captured clips to an intermediate format. For more information, please see Creating Intermediate Files.

If you plan to edit HDV clips, skip to step 3.

Drag your captured clips from the Explorer or Project Media window to the timeline to create events.

Edit your project as needed.

If you're working with intermediate files and you plan to render to a format that supports high-definition video, replace the intermediate clips with the original HDV clips before rendering your project or printing to tape.

If your intermediate files were rendered using the CineForm HD codec, you don't need to replace the intermediate files with the transport streams.

a. Right-click the HDV intermediate file in the Project Media window.

b. Choose Replace from the shortcut menu.

c. Browse to the MPEG-2 transport stream that corresponds to the intermediate file, and then click Open.

Render your project or print to tape.

Using the HDV files, the picture is so juddery I am not able to edit, apply transitions etc. There must be others out there that have HDV video that they want to edit and I was just hoping for a bit of a steer. I'm not getting any error messages - I'm just a bit dense and can't work out what Help is telling me.

As ever, any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Mike

Blog Entries

HDV is a compromised format in my view - it is based on a compression strategy that was never designed as a cam / editing codec - hence it is a bitch to edit - very much so when you aplly jazzy fx - very fast pc essential.

Even when you have a fast computer, using proxy editing is still an advantage, I have it switched on all the time, I use Ulead Video Studio 11.5 Plus, I like the 1920x1080i output it does, using smart rendering. it save a lot of time. I think your camera uses AVCHD h264 the same as the Canon HF10 that I use. all we need now is a Media Gate that will handle the same codec. I did try a Sony Play Station 3, it worked as a Blue-Ray player but was useless when played from the 80GB HDD, something to do with a conflict between NTSC and Pal, we use PAL 25fps in New Zealand and it didn't like it, very jerky playback.
    Something I did discover was that the Ulead program will Author a Blur-ray video at 1920x1080i to a DVD that will play on some Blue-Ray players.
    Last edited by wandering-free; 09-18-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks for the input. I just need to hear from someone who has used Sony Movie Studio 8 to edit HDV. With so many HD camcorders being sold, there must be someone out there. If I find out how from another source, I'll post back here. Thanks

Hi, I did try Vegas Platinum 8 trail about 3 months ago, and at the time didn't realize that it will output at 1920x1080i, if you use custom settings, one other thing with Ulead that I didn't mention was that you only have to have "Smart Proxy" high lighted in the program and it does it all in the background, and then when you output the video it just uses the MTS or M2TS files from the camera, with no extra input from the user, I put one of my test videos on Vimeo that I did with Sony Vegas Platinum 8 before I went over to Ulead.
    vimeo.com/1268143

Last edited by wandering-free; 09-19-2008 at 02:46 AM.

10. Default

Yeah, I'm stuck on this too ... as usual Sony's help files are in realms of "Chocolate Teapot" in the usefulness/clarity stakes ...

I did a render and all it did was output one huge AVI file ... not the individual clips I expected ...

ULead just crashes on my machine with a Win32 Unhandled Exception, unfortunately I can't debug it as I only have Visual Studio C# Express installed ... (No JIT debugger ...)

Hmm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast