Thread: First Purchase

Default First Purchase

Hi there

I dabble in sound engineering as a musician who records guitars and mics etc and I'm just about to purchase my first camcorder. I have virtually no knowledge of the camera world and am mainly a sound guy.

Initially, I will be using it for Youtube clips of me playing guitar with the guitar being recorded straight to my PC via 'Sonar 7 Producer Edition' which very good recording studio software.

Although I will initially be using anything I buy for Youtube footage, I would like a reasonably good quality device that I could use to record video footage of other stuff - holidays and band musical performances etc. Therefore, I'm looking for something much better than the typical grainy low quality footage normally associated with Youtube.

My idea is to have a high quality audio capture with a reasonably good picture quality, both of which I can sync. Is this possible? I mean, recording audio to my PC using my own mics, creating an audio file via Sonar and then merging the audio and video footage togther in other software (don't know which). If this is dooable, which software can I use for this? Would a camera come with this?

I'm looking to achieve something along the lines of the follwing:

Actually, I'd perhaps like better than this come to think of it.

I would prefer to get a camera for less than 200 but would likely go as high as 400 if there was to be a notable worthwhile difference (relative to my needs) in purchasing a better one. Any recommendations of camcorders at both mentioned price levels would be appreciated. My OS is Windows.

Thanks in Advance.

D.
    Last edited by dallas_118; 09-14-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Incomplete information

Blog Entries

There are many great dv cams 200 to 400 and hardly any lemons as the format is mature.

DONT let some ingrate of a sales mokey sell you a dvd / hard drive cam - they suck for editing .

The maniplualtion you describe will be a cinch in many editors.

My suggestion is vegas ( 50 for the 'lite version' 500 for the daddy) . I suggest this cos i came to vidoe from sound and used sonic foundarys stuff - same company did vegas b4 sony purchased them. This means that the editor works like a sound editor with a hugely sensible layout and great effects busses. Arguably better than trad looking editors.

Go look in links for free trials and links to many other packages.

Thank you Mark

I really appreciate the reply.

I've been looking at the Mini DV Camcorders. Nice prices. I've been noticing that the ones I've looked at require Firewire to upload to a PC. Unfortunatley, I don't have a firewire port on my PC. This would require a PCI card installation which would mean intermittent swapping of PCI cards everytime I uploaded footage to my PC. Do you know of any Mini DV Camcorders which have USB? Do they exist?

A workaround, still avoiding the DVD/Hard Drive variety, would be to opt for a Memory Card Camcorder. Would you recommend this as an alternative to the DV ones?

I'll definitely be checking out Sony Vegas. Someone else has just suggested I use it in conjunction with Sonar.

I take it from your signature that HD would be ridiculous for my needs? lol. It's great to learn these thing from folks with experience, otherwise, I'd probably be considering be an HD. I'd probably be looking at DVD/Hard Drive ones too.

Regards

D.

Blog Entries

Nothnig to be gained from hdv unless you spend 1000 - and it is more fiddly to edit.

Avoid SD cams at consumer level - like dvd and hard drive cams they use tons of compression and the files are vrtually uneditable in most editors.

My advice is that DV rules untill about a grand and for tube uploads HDV is pointless.

You MUST use f wire to u load - usb is on many dv cams but it is NOT for uploading video.

Thank you Mark

Looks like it's definitely DV then.

It seems odd that they would make stuff difficult to edit but then developers rarely consider the end user's needs.

I'll have to me one of these.

Belkin IEEE 1394 FireWire 3-Port PCI Card, With VideoStudios 5.0: Electronics & Photo: Amazon.co.uk

I've just realised that I have an old PCI 56k modem that I can yank out.

Thanks Mark

D.
    Last edited by dallas_118; 09-14-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: To tidy pic in context with text.

Hi Mark

I've decided to go with the Sony DCR HC62. I think it meets my needs.

I'm educating myself in camcorders bit by bit each day and I'm beginning to get the just of all the different types. Bloody confusing or what?..lol

Regarding DV Tape etc...You spoke of difficulty in editing compressed HD footage from SD/Hard Disc/DVD HD camcorders which you clearly advised to avoid. Where does one stand in edting HDV from Tape. Is this fiddly?

Or, converting HD to DV for editing?

Just thought I'd ask since you gave good clear answers on the other stuff I asked.

Regards

D.