Thread: Books or training ?

1. Default Books or training ?

Hi all,

After having spent the last few weeks surfing information and reviews I have decided to get myself some books or even take a course somewhere.

Did a search on amazon for digital video editing and videography and all I got was 'how to use adobe premier' or 'editing the pinnacle way' etc etc. Not what I want at all, im looking for a comprehensive study that includes keyframing, chroma and luma, time base correction, rgb, yuv etc etc.

Any ideas ?

M

Blog Entries

Perhaps it's a bad idea, but I've always steered clear of books - maybe it's just cos I don't have the patience to sit and learn by myself. I've got a pile of PC books that have never even been opened. Much prefer the idea of sitting there with someone telling you what to do - and telling you where you've gone wrong! Although I frequently just sit there, staring at a screen, working out how to do something that would have taken 5 seconds with the right guide!

3. Default

Yep I agree Mark,

Like you I learn the hard way, but there really is so much to learn on this subject which helps in choosing the right equipment and methods.

I doubt I would find a book that I liked and some hands on training would be far better. Or just stick to surfing, as it all appears to be out there !

M

I'll have to go with books though although you guys are right. It's tough to sit through a whole book and there is no such thing as the best book out there. It all depends on yourself really. But I'm the type that's not confident of hands-on training unless there's someone who's an expert guiding you. Otherwise, I'd rather refer to books and stuff.

I've found a lot of books to be hard going and just end up giving up on them in the end, using them just for quick referance. I suppose if you read ofgten and your acustomed to reading then this may be a good way to learn. One book I really did learn from is 'Adobe Premiere Classroom In A Book'. Not an advanced text by any flight but it helped me get my head round Premiere quickly and easily.

As for learning other video related things, other than an expert on the subject, I don't think you can beat the power of the internet for learning about specific topics.

Courses may be a good way to go about this, particularly a dedicated one toward this subject. I must admit though that after doing a 2 year HND in media, I've learnt more from sitting at a computer with video software and the internet than I ever did in those long drawn out lectures and I've knoiwn many others feel the same way. Maybe it's just that paricular course though, or me .
    Who shares wins

True enough... I think it's all a matter of preference