Thread: Animated Logo: Johnson Imagineering

Default Animated Logo: Johnson Imagineering

The only thing more boring than a weekend day in Kuwait is a weekend day in Kuwait during Ramadan. Aside from a brief trip out to shop, I spent the better part of today putting together a new animated logo for my productions. This brief logo demonstrates the power of the Sony Vegas Pro 8 editing system. Coupled with the right piece of music (composed from Sonic Pro royalty free tracks) and some stock video, it is possible to put together some powerful digital effects:

Watch: Johnson Imagineering Presents

Unfortunately there is a noticable loss of quality in the blip.tv website's Flash conversion, but you'll get the idea.

If anyone has questions about the techniques used, don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-13-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Updating video and link

Blog Entries

Sorry to be blunt but whilst the techniques were well enough executed (wouldnt mind a run through), I didn't think the type face (which was a blocky, 2D, cartoony sort of style) worked against the background (which was an abstract and very 3D) at all.

I'd have rather seen a transparent or semi-transparent 3D text (which I know Vegas dooesn't do). Maybe a semi transparent 2D text, or outline only?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Sorry to be blunt but whilst the techniques were well enough executed (wouldnt mind a run through), I didn't think the type face (which was a blocky, 2D, cartoony sort of style) worked against the background (which was an abstract and very 3D) at all.

I'd have rather seen a transparent or semi-transparent 3D text (which I know Vegas dooesn't do). Maybe a semi transparent 2D text, or outline only?
    I went back to the drawing board and reworked some of the lettering and background animation. The somewhat "cartoony" style word IMAGINEERING needed to remain, as it is part of the site style design, but I think it works somewhat better now (I hope).
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-13-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: update

hmmm

the background looked like a 1980's game show, and the text ruined it all, the effects are all good, i liked the spinning and the sound fx, but it all looks dated, try something more modern looking, the text looks like microsoft office wordart.

keep up the work tho

Have to agree with the above, looks very 1980's, i'm not a fan of moving titles, not exactly sure why thay have to move at all.

To me a title should be short, sharp and not a reading lesson.

Carefully choose the font, that's what makes or breaks a title.

Default New and Improved?

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    hmmm

the background looked like a 1980's game show, and the text ruined it all, the effects are all good, i liked the spinning and the sound fx, but it all looks dated, try something more modern looking, the text looks like microsoft office wordart.

keep up the work tho
    OUCH!!! I guess my age is showing. Back in the 80s (when I was in my 30s) that was top-of-the-line stuff. And YEP! that was microsoft wordart.
    Ok, my reality check has bounced for insufficient modern-day thinking - smile.

UPDATE! Ok, taking all this valuable feedback into due consideration, I have gone back to the drawing board one last time and started from scratch: Johnson Imagineering logo@@AMEPARAM@@player.setPostsId(127551;player.setUsersId(132695);player.setUsersLogin("g rjohnson")@@AMEPARAM@@1275518@@AMEPARAM@@grjohnson

Verdict??
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-17-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Update to add new file link

10 times better, cleaner, crisper, more mordern.

however i am still not totally convinced on the text. Do you not have photoshop?

Anyhow, massive improvement in my eyes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    10 times better, cleaner, crisper, more mordern [sic].

however i am still not totally convinced on the text. Do you not have photoshop?

Anyhow, massive improvement in my eyes
    No, I do not have Photoshop.

Glad to see you consider this a "massive improvement" because I was beginning to fear I was stuck in the 80's time-warp without a possibility of escape. I guess it is possible for old dogs to learn new tricks afterall - smile.

The process: The text on this latest attempt was made using the "Legacy" text plugin in the Sony Pro 8 editor. The warp-gate flash was made using the "Starburst Effect" from the Lens Flair plugin, and all the movement was done using the crop/pan utility from the tools. The audio elements came from the Sonic Fire Pro 5 upgrade's "Hits" utility.