Thread: Cookie Cutter/Border Problem

Smile Cookie Cutter/Border Problem

Hia,
    I've been using Sony Vegas for a while now, all the time learning new things, but this, I just can't seem to figure this out!

It happened in my Harry/Pansy remake, so I gave up for a while, but trying a similar, if not the same, thing with my Ben/Pauline has made me want to find out how to do it.

I have a preset border that i've used on the other clips in this particular video.

Now, i've split screened the two clips, and go to add my border, but it only shows up on half the clip - with there being a line down the middle. So, I add the border to the other clip, and I have the border round the other side, but there's the line down the middle and the lines don't actually match up, they a tiny bit off.

How do I make it so the line down the middle is gone and they match up?

I use Sony Vegas Pro 8.0, and my clips are on different tracks, one above, one below and I have used the Cookie Cutter tool to do this. I really wish I could show you print screens, but my internet won't let me upload anything at the moment </3

Also, sometimes, if I don't have a border and I go to upload on youtube, there's like a black border round it anyway and i'd like to get rid of that...

Edit:// I have finally been able to upload all screenshots, which may help:

This one shows the video before I add my border:
    http://i33.tinypic.com/mrwzrt.jpg

And this one shows what happens if I add the border to one clip:
    http://i33.tinypic.com/5vayq8.jpg

This is what happens if I add it to the second clip:
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2wbt46s.jpg

And this is what happens if I move the border on Ben to the left:
    http://i36.tinypic.com/xnwzgx.jpg
    The middle line disappears, but there is no line along the far right (I don't think, i'll check soon, it's rendering atm), and the lines of the borders just don't match up.

Thankyou so much in advance for any help
    Last edited by Fairy; 09-12-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Sorry mate . .I'd need to see a screen grab. Sounds interesting and I have a thought about it. But without the Screen Grab I'm really lost and we could waste a load of time.

Maybe somebody else - yeah?

Grazie

Blog Entries

Yea - same from me - cant get my head round it.

Thanks guys, i've managed to upload all of the screenshots, they're in my first post
    Last edited by Fairy; 09-12-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Seriously? Now-a-days I wouldn't do it this way.

This Cookie Fx is to place a Picture within another Picture and MAYBE have a border around that inner picture. And yes, in theory, what you are trying to achieve should be attainable. BUT . . . . . Life is too short. . .

How about thinking in terms of actually what it is you WANT to achieve and is it there a way to achieve it AND have more control? Fancy?

Obviously you want to have a border - yes? Obviously you want to superimpose one image against the other - yes?

Personally this has all the makings of using a Bezier mask and be done with it.

This is exactly what BM was meant for.

Now the Border . . . . the Border . . . . hmmmm.... You want a thin borderline around? Do you want/need a border . . . ? OK . .

1] Male on T2 and Female on T3 Bezier your 2 Clips so the male appears to the left of the female - Done

2] Now create white borders on T1. Insert a GenMed WHITE and use Beziers to make your skinny thin Borderlines.

I have done it and it looks fine.

Doing this in Cookie Cutter? Way of madness!!!

Doing it this way you get loads of control and adjustment.

So, to recap:

A] Beezier the talent together

B] Beizer White Borders from Generated Media Solid White ABOVE the talent.

THT

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Seriously? Now-a-days I wouldn't do it this way.

This Cookie Fx is to place a Picture within another Picture and MAYBE have a border around that inner picture. And yes, in theory, what you are trying to achieve should be attainable. BUT . . . . . Life is too short. . .

How about thinking in terms of actually what it is you WANT to achieve and is it there a way to achieve it AND have more control? Fancy?

Obviously you want to have a border - yes? Obviously you want to superimpose one image against the other - yes?

Personally this has all the makings of using a Bezier mask and be done with it.

This is exactly what BM was meant for.

Now the Border . . . . the Border . . . . hmmmm.... You want a thin borderline around? Do you want/need a border . . . ? OK . .

1] Male on T2 and Female on T3 Bezier your 2 Clips so the male appears to the left of the female - Done

2] Now create white borders on T1. Insert a GenMed WHITE and use Beziers to make your skinny thin Borderlines.

I have done it and it looks fine.

Doing this in Cookie Cutter? Way of madness!!!

Doing it this way you get loads of control and adjustment.

So, to recap:

A] Beezier the talent together

B] Beizer White Borders from Generated Media Solid White ABOVE the talent.

THT

Grazie
    ^^ Ahh I shall try that now, thankyou

I only used Cookie Cutter as a friend suggested it was a good way to do borders x]

There is also the Borders Fx!!!

Grazie

I'm still having real trouble with the borders, with my other scenes, the border looks like this by using cookie cutter:

(By the way, ignore the beige stuff, just the black & white bits are the borders...)

&& I want that on my scenes that are next to eachother, but I can't seem to do that using the borders fx tool or the generated media stuff...