Thread: Need advice on new rig

Default Need advice on new rig

Good day

I recently entered the hobby video club and actually feel like leaving it again. I borrowed a Canon DC50 for a month's holiday to Namibia in the desert. I experienced and learnt more than I could possibly read in a forum. I have lost a lot of footage, aged 10 years trying to work with the data files in a meaningful manner with various software, codecs this and that and quite frankly, I am not made for these bollocking mini-DVD patience testers.

I will be preparing for a trip through Africa within the next 6-8 months and need something which will provide (amongst the following) 9 months of sustained filming capability without ANY fits of PMS etc..

(by the way, unless someone can recommend otherwise, I have decided to go either tape, or HDD)
    My needs:
    1) Robust and reliable data capture without losing data.
    2) minimum optical zoom of 10x
    3) must be able to withstand cold (up to -5 and max. 45 degrees)
    4) I will obviously keep it away from dust, but in Africa a small amount is inevitable.
    5) Must not give errors of: "can't read media type" when I change media or when camera sees a corrugated or bad off road.
    6) I will have a large capacity hard drive and laptop (with firewaire) with me to offload footage from time to time
    7) I have a still camera, so I don't need to worry about still photos.
    Must not freeze on me or take 20mins to start up when I'm in a hurry to film the impending lion kill unfold before me.
    9) I will want to make 1 or 2 good quality (can I ask for HD?) DVD's at the end of the trip.

I have access to a casablanca editing appliance.

These models are in my sights:
    Sony HDR-HC1; HDR-HC9; HDR-SR12; HDR-FX7
    Canon HG10; HV20; XH A1

Does anyone have some advice for me? If someone suggests a DVD camera I will shit myself.

Thanking everyone kindly...

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by oscalot View Post
    If someone suggests a DVD camera I will shit myself.
    Shame you never joined and asked this question first time around. no one here would ever have suggested a camera that records to mini DVD for the reasons you have found out the hard way.

...and if you had to choose one of the cameras that I selected, which one would you go for?

I'm asking early....

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Can't realyl offer an opinion on those cameras as I've never used any of them. Sorry.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

My advice is to get a camera that takes tape - as a rule less compression and the files aer nicer to edit.

Quite a price range there.... if you are dead serious and want to splash.

Dont espect the stills to be blindingly good from any video cam - not really the tool for the job, ok for snaps.