Thread: Best software for MPEG-2 edit/convert

Default Best software for MPEG-2 edit/convert

I have seen similar posts but didn't really find answers.

I have a SONY hard Disk Drive Camcorder. DCR-SR82

Basically I have tons of footage from a music festival and I want to put the videos on youtube.
    I have premier elements and movie maker. I can't edit the clips. I just want to do minor editing like splicing, Adding audio, adding pictures or something like a cheap trademark.

When I use the Apex all in one video converter it converts it but without the sound. I am not sure if Apex even works good with the video part.
    Some tell me I am missing the MPEG-2 codec.

So what I need is good software for converting MPEG-2 or software to edit MPEG-2 videos.
    Also If I convert it I don't want to loose any quality. I heard that converting it to AVI I will loose quality. So I am thinking I have to convert it to Mpeg.

I have tried to research stuff about video formats but I can't really find the info I want.

MPEGJoin which will allow you to import mpeg files and join them together to make one complete video, it will also allow you to play them back. I also used MPEGStreamClip1.2 and Quicktimealt181 (an alternative version of Quicktime that you need to install so MPEGStreamClip1.2 works properly) apparently it has extra codecs built into it that the 'official' version of Quicktime doesn't. FlaskMPEG is also a good mpeg to avi video convertor there are many others including SuperC. Also try VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 as it will allow you to open mpeg files and save them as avi.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by andy2008 View Post
    I think the Aimersoft MPEG Converter is your best choice, it can convert MPEG formats from any format for your mobile device, For instance, MPEG4 for iPod, PSP, Apple TV and the iPhone coming soon, MPEG-2 for DVD authoring, you can convert MPEG from all popular video formats including AVI, Divx, XviD, WMV, MPG, DAT, RM, RMVB, MOV.
    You can free download and try here:

Hope can help you
    Hey thanks for that. Not sure how the quality is yet. I still have to play with the settings. I'll tell you what it did for me though I am able to play my Mpeg-2 videos with sound now and I can do stuff with them in Windows Movie Maker. I guess installing also installed the right codec I needed. After converting the videos to mpeg-1 I am not able to get the same quality. Using the GSPOT program it tells me my video is 720X480 or something. When I pick that size converting it to MPEG-1 the video is much smaller. I don't know but I think just downloading the trial version gave me the codec I needed to do what I need to do.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Mark W; 09-20-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    MPEGJoin which will allow you to import mpeg files and join them together to make one complete video, it will also allow you to play them back. I also used MPEGStreamClip1.2 and Quicktimealt181 (an alternative version of Quicktime that you need to install so MPEGStreamClip1.2 works properly) apparently it has extra codecs built into it that the 'official' version of Quicktime doesn't. FlaskMPEG is also a good mpeg to avi video convertor there are many others including SuperC. Also try VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 as it will allow you to open mpeg files and save them as avi.
    Thanks for the post. Question though. Will I loose quality when converting to AVI.
    I guess what I am asking is what is the most standard highest format a video can be without being on a film strip. Like when someone is working with audio -WAV or when someone is working with a digital picture- a TIFF I think.

It all depends on how much compression you use on your video clip, if you want high quality then only use a codec that is either lossless (resulting in a massive file) or only applies a small amount of compression so that you would find it difficult to distinguish it from the original. DV AVI is a very popular one that a lot of us use and gives good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower View Post
    my choice is powerful and 100% clean - MelodyCan Video Converter
    I just checked the website and it doesn't seem to say anything about MPEG-2 at least I don't think it does. Have you used it to convert Mpeg-2 format?