Thread: Importing Error

Default Importing Error

Hi,

I am using Premier Pro 2, my friend has recently brought around his camera, a Sony dcr-sr100, it has a Harddrive and creates what seems to be MPEG2 files.

I have imported MPEG2 files into PP2 before with no problems, but these seems to give me a "Files are not supported or may be corrupt".

The files seem perfectly fine, i can open them in other editing software.

the only way i can edit them is to convert them with seemingly dodgy converting freeware, which kills to great quality of the footage.

Does anyone know the problem?? is there something i am missing.
    Maybe the way the sound is encoded, maybe its not supported??

And if this is so and there is no way around it, can anyone suggest some Software that would convert these files to a usable format but keep the same all around quality?

thanks.

I've been using a program recently to convert mpeg files to avi. It's called MPEG Streamclip1.2 and it's freeware, basically you import the mpeg into the program and then under File you Save As an AVI, you need to install another piece of software called QuickTimealt181, it has extra codecs installed in it. Then back in MPEG Streamclip1.2 you use the Apple DV PAL codec to make an avi file. I opened mine with no problem in my NLE.

Thanks, i'll give it a try

ClaireTall Guest

Smile

The camera would have come with a CD which would have had a software program to convert the files, install that. What is the file extension?

APP should be able to handle MPEG2 files?

Not sure why the camcorder manufacturers have not chosen a common recording format for their HDD camcorders?

thanks, i will ask my friend about the CD.

the format seems to be MPEG2 (video) AC3 (audio), i believe that's what the audio said, i will have to double check.

After reading a reply to a post elsewhere on the forum someone suggested you download an mpeg2 codec from a company called Ligos, install that and APP2 should bring in your mpeg file with no problems. I haven't tried it yet as I'm still using the above software but will shortly to see what it does.

Thanks Niko.

I have found some codecs that are under the name Ligos and have installed them, but no luck so far.
    I don't understand what is wrong with this stupid cameras files, they seem to be normal mpeg2.

Anyone willing to download a short little clip i have taken to maybe see if you can work it out?

ClaireTall Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Prise View Post
    Thanks Niko.

I have found some codecs that are under the name Ligos and have installed them, but no luck so far.
    I don't understand what is wrong with this stupid cameras files, they seem to be normal mpeg2.

Anyone willing to download a short little clip i have taken to maybe see if you can work it out?
    Yes, send me the link or the file and I'll have a look with ProCoder. Keep it small please.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireTall View Post
    Yes, send me the link or the file and I'll have a look with ProCoder. Keep it small please.
    Thanks ClaireTall.

The file is 7meg/6seconds, i hope that's not to much haha

LINK: http://www.users.on.net/~prise86/M2U00456.MPG

thanks again Claire