Thread: MiniDV, what to buy...

Default MiniDV, what to buy...

HI all... I am about to take up video for the first time, on a mini budget...
    I seem to have a few choices... Which would you go for and why??

Samsung VP-D381
    Canon MD215
    Sony DCR HC-51
    Panasonic NV GS90EF-S
    JVC DR-G860

Thanks for your time...
    Rod

Blog Entries

In my opinion, at that price point the cameras will pretty much provide very much the same in terms of features and quality. Given that DV is a mature product, you'd expect the technology within each of the cameras to be pretty much ubiquitous. I would suggest you opt for (1) the camera with the latest release date and (2) one that fits your needs aesthetically, for example the one that feels right. In my opinion this will outweigh any percieved gain in video quality at this price point.

However, if you do want to compare in terms of performance, I recommend you look at the reviews on camcorderinfo.com. However, note that although they give a score for each camera, this will be at the time of release. It's often the case that newly released cameras would score comparitvely highly if released a few years ago. Which is why I would stress chosing a camera with the newest release date.

Blog Entries

Used bargais to be had on e bay sometimes for sd dv kit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Used bargais to be had on e bay sometimes for sd dv kit.
    That can be a sensible option. There's plenty of people out there that simply need the latest and greatest. So with the switch to HDV and AVCHD, there's quiote a few higher end SD cameras going on ebay. Worth a look to see what your budget could buy. A cam costing around the 1k mark a few years ago will inevitably beat those cams in terms of optics etc.

Thanks... as I don't really understand the specs and as far as I can tell, you always need a firewire setup... how things feel makes much more sense.

I did notice that the Sony felt much less solid than the Samsung...

I've always wondered about buying electrical equipment off e-bay?? seems a bit of a risk?? and postage to here (finland) is always astronomical...
    Have to have a rethink I guess.... Shame there's no sales from the forum... (or is there??) I think it would feel easier to buy... more comeback I suppose...

rod