Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Video of the Month?

Blog Entries

Default What is Video of the Month?

What is Video of the Month?

Video of the Month is a contest to chose our the our monthly champion of the User Video section. Any listed video is eligible for the video of the month.

How do videos get nominated for video of the month?

At the end of the month anyone can pick the creme de la creme of the videos posted in the user videos section by joining in the discussions at Video Editing Forums: Digital Director - Video of the Month nominations. A poll is then created for the shortlisted 5 videos.

What determines a Video of the Month?

Video of the Month is based on a simple voting system. Throughout the month you can vote for one of the nominated videos. At the end of the month, the video with the most votes is crowned Video of the Month.

This month's Video of the Month is sponsored by FinDonovanEdits
    www.findonovanedits.moonfruit.com/
    + STUNNING HD ROYALTY FREE STOCK FOOTAGE (OVER 30 HD CLIPS FOR 200!)
    + HD/SD FILMING
    + HD/SD EDITING
    + DVD AUTHORING
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 02-14-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a bit of fun & healthy competition, Marc.
    Could you clarify a bit as to the process....you only mention "nominate" but it would appear that there is a distinction between "nominate" and "vote" - I can "vote" for either of the films so far nominated (Latest Wedding Trailer and The Bloodstaimned Moth), but can't nominate a new film (eg Blind Sided). Is that the general idea?
    Oh, and presumably anything first posted after 30th September qulaifies as an entry for November FOTM.
    Oh (2), and presumably VideoForums contest entries are excluded from this.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-08-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Tim

Underneath each first post in the user video section is a little icon (next to reply). Click on this button to nominate a post. This then makes the video eligible for video of the month. I've initially set this so that everyone can nominate.

For all videos nominated within a month, we can vote. And yes, a video nominated early in the month will have a better chance of winning. It doesn't matter when a video is posted, but it does matter when it is nominated. A video can only be nominated once every year.

After this month, I may change the set up so that mods may only nominate on the first week of the month.

Hope this clears it up!
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 09-08-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Marc. All clear to the pedant now.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Could you set it up so that only 'senior' users can nominate?

Blog Entries

Yes I can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Underneath each first post in the user video section is a little icon (next to reply). Click on this button to nominate a post. This then makes the video eligible for video of the month. I've initially set this so that everyone can nominate.
    I'm not seeing that. Under, say the first post in the "Paper Army" thread (the one with the embedded video) I can see, to the right side, the buttons for "Quote", "Multi Quote" and "Reply". To the left there are the Digg, Del-ic-io-us, technorati and Furl icons. The same as any other post/thread.

(I'm not bothered whether I can nominate or not - I'm sure anything I would wish to vote for would have been nominated by others anyway, I just feel the need to understand this stuff.)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Only videos posted in the previous month are eligible. Now that we have five nominations for the previous month, the nominations are closed.

Does that makes sense?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Does that makes sense?
    It would make more sense if the the nominations were for next month. Unless I've mis-understood, videos from last month are judged this month? I think it should be videos this month should be judged next.... People will forget to go back and nominate....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    It would make more sense if the the nominations were for next month. Unless I've mis-understood, videos from last month are judged this month? I think it should be videos this month should be judged next.... People will forget to go back and nominate....
    My reasoning for not using the current month is that you can't nominate what hasn't yet been posted. That is to say that video posted at the start of the month will have a greater propensity to be nominated. To avoid this, video posted throughout the preceeding month are up for nomination. The first 5 videos nominated will be included. If less than 5 videos are nominated, I will select the remaining videos. A new thread will automatically open each month for nominations and poll voting. As soon as a video is nominated, it is eligible for voting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast