Thread: Feedback on Showreels

Post Feedback on Showreels

Hi

I am not sure who out there might be interested... but I was wondering if anyone might take a look at my showreels and give me some feedback on them. I have been working for quite a while as an AVID editor and have a number of projects and credits under my belt... but have not had work for a while now (possible recession in the UK.. I dunno).

I think the reels I have could be a little more exciting - but would appreciate any feedback other editors out there might be able to give me...

Here's the link: ( link to channel moved by mod, please replace with ONE film - thank you for using central services)

Thanks in advance !

Tim
    Last edited by Mark W; 09-09-2008 at 05:08 PM.

IMHO etc.

I've looked at the top three and flicked through others, assuming the music video 'Mind my creps' is included.

On that 'creps' one, something struck me straight away which continued through it. the images were all, er, 'normal'. I.e. very straight, room for some subtle colour effects there, just the obvious ones, contrast, staturation levels, maybe tinting. The mood of the music was not served by 'straight' looking images. The cuts etc were neat.

The 'Corporate' one needed some stabilisation on the opening aerial shots, when it cut to a tripod mounted camera it comes across as detached because of this. The female narration was terrible! Sorry, but it sounds like a footballers wife type 'luvlay' tone which grated big style. Don't know if that's in your domain, but sack her and get someone with a decent voice to dub over the female presenter (it may be her as a company employee, but doesn't matter, it's dreadful!) it wouldn't be the first time that it had been done, be firm with your client and point out the pitfalls. In my day job I might actually review such a presentation like that when assessing a potential supplier, she'd put me off, I don't care if she's the hottest business executive out there, she sounds like a person with limited intelligence from somehwere just North of the Dartford tunnel, I'm just thankfull she didn't end a sentence with 'innit' (savage huh! , yes I'm prejudiced against lazy bad speech, regional accents are fine, but not this, please!). Dunno what's wrong with the AR, but fix that. On the clips showing the mainframe computer and the van it's repeated a couple of times, either directly or by inference, avoid that, smacks of a lack of footage. I didn't like the subtitle banner, it looks like a Movie Maker title, but mostly red is just a personal no-no for me. From a graphics point of view it's not nice, but from a visual side it always causes abberations at its edge, even on fine art. I think I'd probably head for using one of the corporate colours of the customer there, unless it's red, and drop the banner height if you still use it, just a tad.

The 'Music Reel' has shown me that there is something missing from all of your pieces.

Some of the camera work you've handled here is less that it should be, but it's that straight off the camera look that's nagging at me, it's all the same, coming across as lifted from the camera and simply cut in where wanted. That cutting etc is all fine, slick and the timing is ok, but the 'ordinary' imagery leaves a hole in my view. In needs to have 'moods' applied, up or down as required. It's just kind of flat and ordinary at the moment and needs to have dynamics to suit the subject in hand.

Thanks for the reply..!

I think overall though - your main complaint is with the "grade" or look of some of the work (magic bullet anyone?). This is not my strong suit when it comes to editing - I am not a colourist - but that added "polish" can make a difference.

As for the voice-over and graphics on the corporate pieces - they are not my decision ! My job is to give the client what they are asking for as best as I can possibly do it. Sure - I often disagree and debate a creative decision - but at the end of the day it is there money and they are entitled to make their own choices (right or wrong). Incidently, the lady voice over on the sydney opera house clip was heavily cut-up (hence all the cutaways), to the point of making new sentences out of several others (a very delicate task) - the client were very happy with it - but yes, I do know what you mean :-S

Anyway - thanks again - I'll think about what you have said....

best,

Tim

'Complaint' is too strong a word really, it's more of an identified shortfall in my view.

It's funny, but when we occasionally get video pitches at work there's a curious buzz around the viewers sometimes if the video is 'too good'. I've often sat alongside the director of purchasing with my blue sky view of 'clearly they care about their presentation, so it's good to know that they apply themselves to the promotion of their activities', whereas my boss, Director of Purchasing, might say 'they should spend less on videos and reduce their prices instead' . Maybe thats why he's the Director of Purchasing!

I see his point, but I support valid, accurate and pertinent promotion presented well. Btw clients will always say that things are fine if the product you've presented them with meets or slightly exceeds expectations, but you're looking for work you say, so for showreels perhaps that visual dynamics thing might help. And remember that a client will always have something more important to be dealing with unless they have a dedicated promotions team, so they may just check it, tick it, and walk away. Sometimes they need to be told what they like. My employer's design department does this with every product, as if you meet expectations alone, then you're working within the confines of the known, and no new ground or innovation is made, if it's good enough, they'll see it as just that, where better than good enough, something with a 'wow' factor, may serve you better by way of promoting your own activities.

Blog Entries

Oh lord doesnt anyone read the posting guidelines, or look at my video for thise who are hard of understnading.

Nick, I have removed the link to your tube channel - please replace with ONE film for criticism as outlined in posting guidelines.

Many thinks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Oh lord doesnt anyone read the posting guidelines, or look at my video for thise who are hard of understnading.
    Plenty of people do, Mark. Plenty of people find a forum, search and lurk for a couple of weeks to get a "feel" before joining in. Unfortunately it's those people who will read your posts and not those who steam in with scant regard for anyone else. "Netiquette" still exists but I'd be laughed at for using the term.

(In other words you're wasting your breath, mate)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Hmm - indeed - lucky i enjoy a rant. All this, if indeed this is an example, this you tube oppertunism is irritating me.

Netiquette seems to be going out of fashion - I am sure people were more assiduous in observing sensible rules when 56 k was cool.

Anyway - I digress - much more of this and I will have to mod myself. lol.

( mod note - please save your irrelevant prognosications for your anger therapist )

I remember clearly when I found this forum, it comes up top ranked in google if you type in say "video forum" and I did use it to be oppertunistic, I strode right in without reading a rule, and had a pretty hard start here as some members were irritated with my content, but I stuck with it, and in the end read the rules and try to commit some time to watching peoples videos when I can.

I'm not against Mark enforcing some laws, people here have to expect to be shot down in flames at any moment, and that to me is part of the appeal, boy did I take some hits.

If this user has any substance they will be back, and post their videos without linking their channel, and maybe keep coming back.

If you let weeds take over you will loose your garden, these forums are about the flowers, not the weeds.

Leo.

Blog Entries

Yea - that and I enjoy the power - and can you tell i often do the mod thing shortly after getting out of the (wrong?) side of the bed.

Seriously tho - I love this bit of the site and I do worry that unless we take a stasi stance the flowers will be lost in pimping oppertunistic pseudo posts.