Thread: Tricked about PAL on ebay: Adobe 6.0 capturing juttery footage

1. Unhappy Tricked about PAL on ebay: Adobe 6.0 capturing juttery footage

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this forum just now through Google whilst searching for expert video and editing forums after having realised that I have made a big mistake and if I don't get it sorted then I am, for use of a better word, SCREWED!

I really, really hope that someone here can help me.

Basically, I recently went to India to shoot footage for a company. Before I went I bought a new video camera, the very compact Sony DCR-HC37E. It worked great out there, I had no problems and today, now that I'm back home in England, I've plugged it into my computer via FireWire and captured some footage onto my hard-drive via Adobe Premiere 6.0 (purchased an amazing 7 years ago!)

However, playing the footage back on Adobe, it seems quite juttery. My previous Sony handicam (TRV-238E - old school!) had been just fine. It was round about then that I started to think "Oooooooooh craaaaap!"

THEN I realised what was up. I'd bought my HC37E off ebay. On closer inspection I see that the name code on the camera is in fact HC37. Of course, without the 'E' at the end it means that the camera is not set to PAL.

My stomach sank.

There's no point chasing after the ebay seller or fretting about all that stuff now. Maybe he didn't even know himself that it wasn't a PAL! (although he did advertise it as an HC37E, the crafty devil).

So basically...

I have a stack of mini-DV tapes shot on a DCR-HC37.

The DCR-HC37 is not set to PAL.

When I capture the footage in Adobe Premiere 6.0 it plays back as juttery in a project set to PAL mode. The juttering is like every second or so the footage shakes, although this is predominently when the camera pans across a scene rather than consistently throughout.

If I start a new Adobe project in NTSC mode then the footage is COMPLETELY messy.

So... HOW ON EARTH do I save and use this footage? I mean, I have good footage quality saved on these mini-DV tapes. I just need to be able to edit and export them on something that plays them as clearly as they were recorded.

Are there some simple settings on Adobe Premiere 6.0 that could save me and that I'm overlooking?

Or if I ever want to be able to edit footage shot on my DCR-HC37 am I going to have to buy a brand new computer and editing software?

Please, will some expert out there read this post, understand what I am saying, know the answer and explain it to me in a soothing kind of way?

One hundred thanks in advance if anyone knows how to solve this teeny tiny issue I'm having.

quick question, what sort of hard drive are you using to capture the video onto. is it IDE or SATA, as i've experienced this problem before using an IDE hard drive, when i switched to the SATA drive the problem disappeared. also you could try defragging the hard drive. i'm not an expert when it comes to NTSC and PAL but firstly i would think it's a hardware issue.
    i eat hobbits!!!!!!

3. Default

Thanks for your reply, Skratakh.

Yes, my hard-drive is IDE. However, I don't think that this is the problem. My two other video cameras are also Sony HandiCams but are PAL format and they capture just fine onto my hard-drive.

The two differences between my video cameras that are captured fine onto my computer and my HC37 which DOESN'T capture fine onto my computer are:

The HC37 is miniDV whereas the other two are D8.
    The HC37 isn't PAL formatted whereas the other two are.

I desperately need someone who knows about PAL and NTSC and Adobe Premiere 6.0!!! Anyone?? Anyone at all?? :S

South Devon

I'm no expert, but I don't get why the PAL/NTSC thing is an issue at all.

I understand that they are different broadcast formats, but I thought they were only related to video output issues when using the camera's AV output to a TV?

What we are doing is exporting our digital files via firewire, and an AVI in the USA is an AVI in Europe, we are not uing the composite AV style output from the cameras at all.

So, in my unqualified view I'm guessing the problem is something else. Though I'd like to be corrected, as I've often thought of buying video equipment from America, as it's about half of what we pay in the UK, and I've always been assured that so long as I don't expect to use the AV signal to power a TV that it's not a porblem.

EDIT This may help:

Converting NTSC/PAL
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 09-05-2008 at 05:57 PM.

5. Default

Hey, thanks for that link, Jerry! It was a very interesting read and kind of confirmed what I had already pondered:

When a miniDV camcorder sends data out from its DV port (known similarly as firewire, i.Link and IEEE1394), it doesn't matter what format the video was shot in. As far as the computer is concerned, it's just a bunch of ones and zeroes. In fact, if you do some basic math, you see that NTSC and PAL have a common bandwidth that makes data transmission work:
    I had already thought that a computer shouldn't care if footage was NTSC or PAL and that article explains how I was right.

So with that in mind, why on earth is my non-PAL HandiCam sending my computer juttery footage when my PAL handicams don't?

Could it be that my Adobe Premiere 6.0 is a really old version? (I bought it in 2001). Would more modern versions of Premiere be much more geared to recognising various formats and rendering, converting and exporting them with ease?

Man, I'm well behind the times with all this stuff :s

I really appreciate the help and information so far though, guys. Keep it coming!!

South Devon

Well the only thing, which is a gap in knowledge I need to fill, is the frame rate thing. The different sizes might well be easy to deal with, but the frame rate might well be causing the stuttering you seem to be describing. To my knowledge AVI files do run at differing frame rates, so it may well be a matter of adjusting capture settings.

I'm off to my den to fire up my other comps and see what comes up, could do with getting out of it for a while .

South Devon

Right, in the video capture settings of Premiere Pro, and Premiere CS3, there's a drop down box to adjust 'DV Device Control' from PAL to NTSC. See if yours has that. I'm not saying this is a solution, but clearly it matters to the capturing at least, or it just wouldn't be there I'm thinking.

Western Europe

There could also be a problem with the Firewire connection on your camcorder aswell. Did you try using another Firewire cable to see if that made any difference.