Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Movie Maker Help

1. Default Windows Movie Maker Help

Just a quick request for advice

I use Movie Maker for the Bulk of my editing ( i know its rubbish but its better for the Bulk of my work )

The problem i have been having is that when i have 2 clips, and overlap them ( so one fades into the other ) it is flickering between them instead of a smooth transition

All i am trying to get is a very small transition, only around a second, just to take the edge of a cut from one clip to the next, but as i said, its just flickering white bits as it transistions from one to the other

Do i need to change any settings ? or re-instal anything ? download any extra stuff for it or updates ?

Any advice would be great

Ps. its Vista ( i know, makes it worse ! )

I just tried that with the 3 supplied clips on Vista (bear, butterfly and lake) and it transitions alright for me. There's no problem fading between all clips. Maybe you need to use a longer section of clip in the transition of say 2 seconds to stop that breakup happening?

I only get this in MM if I render it as a compressed format of any type. I don't get it as a DVAVI, or my own modified version made with Media Encoder.

So the question for you from me is do you get this in DVAVI too? If not then render it as that first, then bring it into a new project and re-render in the compressed form you need.

If you're still getting it in DVAVI then It'll need more thought.

4. Default

Yes it does it with all formats, which led me to believe it could be something to do with the programe or system

I have very little knowledge of the technical side of a PC, i just know how to operate one, so i couldnt say if its anything to do with drivers / processors etc ?

The other thing i thought...

I have never tried to burn a DVD with the fades in place, i have always avoided using them bue to the problem, maybe this is just a preview problem, and infact it will save it with a good fade ?

I will burn something tonight and see how it goes

Ah! Are you saying it does this is preview, i.e in the preview screen in Movie Maker, or on rendered videos?

Sorry need to be sure, on my machine the preview will always make a little stutter when the new clip starts fading in, and another when the former clip finally fades out. I've not tried it on a more powerful comp.

6. Default

Yes it is doing it in the preview window, i havent tried it on a DVD yet

Its not just a little stutter though, if you can imagine for instance a video of a car, and then fading out into a video of a house, during the fade the first video ( the car ) would leave white lines flickering on the video briefly, highlighting bits of the previous frame in white

Kind of like leaving a ghost image of the previous video clip as it transitions

Right, well I think that may be one of the vagaries of Movie Maker. I've just got used to it and pre-render sections to check the consequences of the effects being used.
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 09-05-2008 at 09:14 PM.

8. Default

Ok, just tried a few things

Firstly tried to save a small section ready for use on a DVD, and the final saved file was the same as the preview, so its not just a preview thing

Second thing i tried was re-saving the files off the camera as an AVI file ( incase it made a difference ) but it didnt, still no good

However i saved the files as WMV files too, and tried that, and its smooth and perfect !

Only trouble is i dont want to save all the files as WMV and use them as its already lost a load of quality before i even start !

So maybe its just not coping with the higer quality ?

I really need to try and find another editing programme that can do the type of editing i need, but not seen one yet

Sony Vegas is a user friendly, ish, program I'd reccommend for the price. There's a free demo avilable with about 25 days for trials, Give that one a go.

This is a long shot but have you downloaded any video and audio codec packs recently to update the ones already on your computer? WMM seems to have a problem rendering the transitions properly with certain file types and I was just wondering if it may be a codec problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast