Thread: Blind Sided

Default Blind Sided

This was the 2nd film I made for the Zone Horror Cut! competition, the 1st being "The Bloodstained Moth" (posted earlier). Again it's a 2 minute horror short. It was made principally to give a run out for my new camera, the Canon HV20. In contrast to "The Bloodstained Moth", it was shot very quickly with little light setup.

Blind Sided on Vimeo

Blog Entries

Hi Mark

There's a fine line between horror and farce. Sadly, this one for me didn't have the same ability to capture me as The Bloodstanied Moth. Not sure entirely why, it just didn't work for me. Sorry.

I think actually it's the ending... the facial expressions are just a bit too 'hammy'.

Sorry mate.

EDIT - I thought the actual shooting and production was ace otherwise.

No need to apologise Andy. I value your opinion enormously and poor reviews are just as important, if not more so, than good. I’m just so sorry you didn’t like it.

I must say I’m not overly satisfied with the film myself. I had to make quite a few compromises along the way due to various constraints. I have no excuses for the “hammy” acting though other than I can’t act and wouldn’t do so in a million years if I could find someone else to do it. Apart from that, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek in the filming, as evidenced by the ridiculous car dancing. I mean you can’t take this kind of thing seriously can you. Maybe I took it a bit too far to the comical side. I was aiming for “The Thing” meets “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” kind of feel.

I had fun anyway and it did serve the purpose of putting the HV20 through its paces.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    ... I’m just so sorry you didn’t like it....
    I didn't mean to imply that.... I did like it actually, but my point really is that it was probably for the wrong reasons. Comedy horror can be good too. You have a point about the car dancing.... it was a little ott, but not as much as the radio announcers voice. Still fun tho.

Blog Entries

Call me stupid, (OK, no need for all of you to shout quite so loud), but a couple of bits lost me. If it's not relevant, then fine, but if it's integral to the plot, I hope the film isn't aimed at stupid people like me
    Firstly - what were we meant to be looking at in the car (right at the end before the "thing" appeared? I couldn't make it out.
    Secondly - the cut from the car to you shaving. Is time meant to have passed or was the flash some sort of transportation? I suspect the former, but the flash made this unclear (to me, at least)
    Other than that: Acting - maybe a bit hammy at the end as Andy said, but VERY tricky to do realistic genuine fear, especially if the cause is being added in post. Car dancing? I'm sure I'm guilty of FAR worse in real life (though I don't tend to listen to Cinescore FM). The rest of the acting, the inquisitiveness growing into concern in the car was, I thought, very well acted (and, like the rest of the film, very well shot). I realise you don't have a massive choice of actors, but I thought you looked the part more in this than in The Bloodstained Moth.
    And the great thing is, I can see you're already developing a recognisable style.
    Tim

Thanks for the comments Tim. I think your assessment is absolutely spot on. The shot before the “thing” appeared could have been better handled. The audience wasn’t meant to be looking at anything in particular and I think this does confuse. Following the shadow darting across the screen, the shot was supposed to be the POV of the character looking deeply in to the corner of the backseat, where the shadow was heading. He knew there was something there but couldn’t see it, hence the slow zoom in for a closer look. Because it was so dark (necessarily so due to the setting) you couldn’t really make out what the shot was of, which in some respect wasn’t important. But I certainly take your point on board and agree with it.

With respect to the flash transition, it started with a light sweep which was supposed to imply alien abduction. The natural transition from that, for me, was a flash and this was meant to represent a movement to some limbo state which although on the surface appears ordinary, the colour scheme and music implies something different. So again I can see that this would be confusing because it is open to interpretation. The key thing is that the alien has injected him with something that attacks and invades his brain, taking him over, like “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” or “The Thing”.

I’m really pleased you thought my acting was good in parts because I didn’t think I did a bad job really. I did ham it up a bit but you can’t listen to the woes of Cinescore FM without addressing the cheesiness factor. It is a B movie after all.

Cheers Tim.