Thread: Gear Rental Costs

Default Gear Rental Costs

Hey,

I'm down in the Orlando, Florida area and I'm currently a college student. Me and a friend of mine are looking to do some free-lance video work (Weddings, Events, Small Stuff). However a major player in this is the cost of rentals. Does anyone have a rough estimate on what it costs to rent gear such as a Canon XL2 and the sorts?

Further more what would one charge on average for a wedding video?

Blog Entries

The question of 'What to charge?' is the subject of many threads on this forum. In my opinion you shouldn't be doing it at all if you have little or no experience. It takes years of practice to hone skills good enough to offer wedding videography..... and there's plenty of threads regarding that too....

As for the gear - I think you should be calling your local dealers. I'm sure they'll happily give you accurate quotes.

Weddings were only part of the idea, I'm going to school for a Bachelors in Film Production so we know how to work all the equipment. We're just looking to get out there while still attending college to get more experience. He has been doing small wedding videography for a few years. I've done TV Production among other projects.

Any who I contacted a local gear place and we're looking at $250 for a day rental (Afternoon before Pickup / Delivery - Day after by noon return). Plus a 3k security deposit on a credit card, as of right now the security deposit seems like it's going to be a tough one to cover. Do any of you guys know of insurance we can get to cover that instead since if you have insurance there's no deposit?

Blog Entries

I wouldnt worry about insurance on kit - more like life insurance for yourselves when punters come to lynch you.

I wouldnt want 2 students out to make a quick buck doing my wedding - no siree. Weddings need real skill and expirience to do well - dont learn on the job - that is just wrong.

Well I'm sorry but how would you expect people to get experience in doing wedding videos? As mentioned he's already been doing them. We're not going out to charge people thousands of dollars nor will we probably even do wedding videos. As I already mentioned it was just an idea of a type of event to do.