Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can't figure out what disabled half of my tracks in Vegas 8.0 Pro

  1. #1

    Angry Can't figure out what disabled half of my tracks in Vegas 8.0 Pro

    I'm still new to using this software (I've only played with it for a few days), but I'm having lots and lots of fun just putting random videos together. I'm working on a "video tribute" to one of my favorite cartoon voice actors and all seems well...until I find that half of BOTH my audio AND video tracks are greyed out/disabled. What the heck happened?!

    I've tried muting/unmuting, selecting/deselecting, NOTHING is working and I'm growing frustrated quite quickly as I have no idea how I did this.




  2. #2

    Default

    Meh..I think I figured it out *had to set the audio tracks to solo mode?*

    Perhaps someone could explain why? Please pardon my ignorance.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pashune View Post
    Perhaps someone could explain why?
    Exactly what is your question? Is it?

    1] Why use SOLO?

    . . or . .

    2] Why are you having to set to SOLO to hear?

    If it is 1] : Then I use SOLO to isolate ONE specific or several SPECIFIC tracks.

    If it is 2] : You WILL hear a SOLO track because you have elected to hear it. That is the purpose to using SOLO tracks.

    Now, if you cleared-down, unchecked ALL previously SOLO-ed tracks, then you would hear ALL tracks equally.

    Vegas has the ability to provide us with many many tracks. Having options to pick the tracks we want offers, at least THIS editor, some sanity!!

    I think you are making more of this than needs be?

    Best regards

    Grazie

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Exactly what is your question? Is it?

    1] Why use SOLO?

    . . or . .

    2] Why are you having to set to SOLO to hear?

    If it is 1] : Then I use SOLO to isolate ONE specific or several SPECIFIC tracks.

    If it is 2] : You WILL hear a SOLO track because you have elected to hear it. That is the purpose to using SOLO tracks.

    Now, if you cleared-down, unchecked ALL previously SOLO-ed tracks, then you would hear ALL tracks equally.

    Vegas has the ability to provide us with many many tracks. Having options to pick the tracks we want offers, at least THIS editor, some sanity!!

    I think you are making more of this than needs be?

    Best regards

    Grazie
    You've lost me >.<

    I don't know what I've done but I cannot see nor hear audio out of the tracks that are colored in "dark gray".

    Why are they in dark gray and why can't I hear/see the content in them when I try to play them? Perhaps I was unaware of what I did but it just randomly happened after inserting a text overlay on one of the clips.

    I again, have only played with Vegas for a few days.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pashune View Post
    You've lost me >.<
    My apologies . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Pashune View Post
    I don't know what I've done but I cannot see nor hear audio out of the tracks that are colored in "dark gray".
    You have a or several tracks SOLO-ed. Not a problem, this is a GOOD feature . . .


    Quote Originally Posted by Pashune View Post
    Why are they in dark gray and why can't I hear/see the content in them when I try to play them?
    This is to indicate/show you, that you have SOLO-ed these particualr tracks. Again, this is a GOOD thing and a very useful feature of Vegas . . read on ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Pashune View Post
    Perhaps I was unaware of what I did but it just randomly happened after inserting a text overlay on one of the clips
    This is EXACTLY what happens IF you have any other tracks SOLO-ed. Vegas is being told to KEEP the tracks that are SOLO-ed SOLO and any NEW tracks NOT to be live or viewable. Again, another excellent feature of Vegas!


    Quote Originally Posted by Pashune View Post
    I again, have only played with Vegas for a few days.
    You keep on "playing". Best way to learn - I've found.

    OK, go to your Track Header. The Track Header is the static set of commands at the far LEFT of the timeline. Within this Track Header you will find many dfferent switches and sliders. Find the one that says: "Mute" and the other is "Solo". These are the switches that allow us to make a Track "play" or be "visible". If you have had ANY of these "muted" - muted is also the same word used on the Video track too! - then additional NEW Tracks will be working. BUT, if you have had ANY of the Video tracks SOLO-ed then any new additional Video based tracks - here for you that would have been the TEXT track you set up, that would be MUTED and not visible. This ALSO holds for the Audio: any audio track/s which are SOLO-ed then any NEW audio tracks would be MUTED too.

    So:

    1] Any Video tracks SOLO-ed will make any new/additonal Video tracks MUTED - "invisible". To be made visible, disengage the SOLO button on that/those tracks.

    and

    2] Any Audio tracks SOLO-ed then new additonal Audio tracks will be MUTED - silent. To be heard disengage the SOLO button on that/those tracks.

    I hope that this time I have helped.

    Grazie

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    I think I understand the gist of the idea.

    Thanks a lot for the help ^_^

  7. #7

    Default

    Good!

    Simply put:

    A] Solo video makes existing and new video tracks invisible

    B] Solo audio makes existing and new audio tracks silent

    In using multiple tracks these are VERY much needed Vegas features.

    Grazie

  8. #8

    Default

    . .and the other thing I'd add, but this isn't clear from your screen grab, it is JUST out of frame, is that it would appear you DO have the audio MUTED. Do you?

    Grazie

Similar Threads

  1. Apply transition to multiple tracks in Vegas Pro 8?
    By evilc in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
  2. Fade between tracks in Vegas Movie Studio
    By Rob in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 10:16 AM
  3. Disabled forward-play?
    By Kloppstock in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
  4. Vegas 6....only half frame uses effects!!
    By Mark Ewart in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
  5. Vegas 6.0 Audio tracks wander after render
    By trswartz in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 07:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •