Thread: Vegas - Colour issue

Default Vegas - Colour issue

Hey all.

I've been using Vegas for a few months now but I only use the basic editing and effects tools nothing special so i'm not brilliant with it.

When I import videos in and add a sound/music file I don't usually have a problem, preview and render with the final video looking just how I wanted.
    Recently when I add videos the colours seem to blur and sort of appear as boxed and really bad quality. This happens at the more action/colour parts, it only appears for 1-2 seconds but every so often and ruins the videos. I've never had this problem before and have no clue how to prevent it. As well as this (although not a big issue I just avoid adding effects) if I add some effect like lense flare etc the video will move slow and stutter while the effect persists.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Help is really appreciated so I can get back to making more videos

Do you mean whilst previewing? It's not uncommon for the program to reduce image quality in an effort to keep time flowing whilst it's carrying out all of the processing needed to apply the effect in real time, Premiere does this too. On my old machine some effects would actually disappear altogether, and if you paused it the effect would only be applied to the frame showing, then disapear again as it was re-started.

If this has started happening recently it might be worth checking out the health of your computers memory, over time all manner of rubbish can end up being shoved into memory on startup and programs running in the background. Try something like 'CCleaner', can work wonders if you clean all the dross off your comp first, then use the 'Registry issues' facility, I clean my systems at least once a week and irrespective of my not changing anything it'll find something each time. Restart after cleaning.

Also, start the comp up fresh and don't load anything other than your editor, that can help, along with disconnecting from the net as there's loads of stuff that can be going on with this or that looking for updates etc. All of this consumes computing power and memory.

Finally, run Defrag. If your hard disk is heavily fragmented the program will be fighting to piece together your files and the hard drive will be working like a dog, this adds time delays, and if the program detects these it'll start compromising processing to try and keep the image streaming consistent.

In an ideal world run a separate computer altogether, this is the route I've taken, a clean computer with minimum installed on it and used for nothing other than video editing.

If you are getting this problem on rendered videos then that's out of the scope of my knowledge I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Jerry Hill; 09-02-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typos, grammar, typing too fast and multitasking :-)

Hey.

Thanks for the reply.
    I actually use registry mechanic and Ccleaner once or twice a week and not in need of defrag right now.
    You might be right about the preview thing, but once i've rendered it the problem is still there, not always in the same places though.

Here is a link to an example video, this is one I uploaded in hopes of the issue not being in the final video but alas it is. The overall quality isnt brilliant because it was just a rough video, but you can see what happens about 20 seconds into it.

WoC - Reliquary of Souls - FileFront.com

All I can see, have looked at it in the preview and full screen versions, is normal consequences of compression.

Image compression works, largely, by a specification for tolerance. so the system thinks (sorry if this sounds patronising):

"Ok, these pixels alongside this one are within 'x' tolerance of each other, so we can group these together as one colour, I only now need to remember one piece of information about the colour, and the information about the position of the pixels in question. Now this different pixel alongside this other one is outside of the tolerance, so I now have to remember a specific colour for each of them, and their position, as I have a limit on how much I'm allowed to remember, everything else is going to have to suffer a bit"

So, if the image is of a single object on a black background the object will appear sharp as it can dedicate it's information limit to the object, if the object is on a complex background that's moving, the object is going to suffer.

The key thing is, have you made videos with this degree of complexity before and not had a problem?

Hmm thanks for that, really helped explain it a lot.
    Only now, no idea how to fix it :P

Ive made a lot of videos but they were a little less intense than this one.

Also for note, I dont care how big the output size of the file is, 100mb or 10gig, either works for me, so is there a way i can make it render so that it doesn't do this? I always render in high quality so Im not sure what else there is to do. Currently I have 2 videos im working on, both have intense colour scenes and so I can't do anything with them because of this problem, I don't understand how other movie makers deal with it :(

Thanks for your time, really helpfull advice

Well I think it's fair to say that I've noted better compression on mpegs than wmv's for instance, but then there's DivX, which can be good, H264 is another nice one, but can't recall if Vegas has that and my video machine is busy at the moment. It all depends on the file formats the sites use if you're intending to upload them for others to see all of the time.

Personally, rather than trawl around the net for ages, just pick a particularly 'busy' clip, it need only be ten seconds or so, and try different rendering options, but do make a point of recording the settings you use, for this I use 'print scrn', paste it into a bitmp editor, MS paint will be fine, and save it as a bitmap with some form of reference as a title for both the bitmap and the video file, easier than writing every nuance of the settings used. I think an evening spent doing that will have more use than formulas provide by others as it will be tailored to your needs better. Basic DVavi's without any compression will probably be the best place to look for the very best quality, files will be huge though.

Vegas does use typical Sony 'video for doing this or that with' style references for the different levels of quality, go for the highest ones first and make your way down. If your planning to have them on a website like the one you linked to, try and match the screen size as that means they will not mess around with it too much to make it fit either. It seems the bigger the video is that you upload to such places, the more they will compress it and undermine your efforts to make it look good.

Finally make sure your source material is good in the first place. I don't know what you're using to capture the games images, but that might well be applying its own compression, and things can look sweet on little monitor screens in editing programs, but be less so at full size.

Filefront is the site i'll be using from now on, they allow any format and limit to 1gig which is fine.
    I've been playing around with settings all evening and haven't managed to resolve it, I'll see what else I can change and post the still shots.

Thanks again for your help.

Could you link to a pic of a single frame from the source material too please? It'll need to be off site if you can, it's a need to keep such things elsewhere with just a link to it here. That way we can see level of degradation, I'm still curious about what you've got to work with here.