Thread: Contest Entry: "Digital Director Adventure"

Default Contest Entry: "Digital Director Adventure"

This is my entry for the Digital Director 2008 contest. The contest rules call for a 30 second "commercial" for the www.vidioforums.co.uk website. The theme of this production is a parody of the classic temple scene from the Indiana Jones "Raiders of the Lost Ark" movie.

Digital Director Adventure@@AMEPARAM@@player.setPostsId(1226931);pl ayer.setUsersId(132695);player.setUsersLogin("grjo hnson")@@AMEPARAM@@1226931@@AMEPARAM@@grjohnson
    Last edited by worddigger; 09-18-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Creative and technical... Great!

Should win simply for the inclusion of an Indy hat alone

Blog Entries

Very slick / funny / clever - looks like we got ourselves a convoy.

Now I am thinking I need to up my game and do a better one myslef.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Creative and technical... Great!
    Thank you. For those interested in the technical and creative details behind this piece, here are a few points of interest:

The opening shot was, of course, a green screen key. The background image was a composite of three separately keyed images. The background image was slightly blurred using the editor (Sony Vegas Pro) to give a depth of field effect. The pan/crop feature was used to establish different parts of the background image for the 2 closeups in the opening sequence.

The "stone alter" was an upside down plastic fern pot and the round top of the alter was an upside down Tupperware bowl with a plastic bag full of sand under it to provide stability. Both pieces were spray painted with greenish gray paint. While the paint was still wet I threw hand fulls of sand against them (we have lots of sand here). The sticking sand gave the finish a stone appearance. The vegetation on the alter was clippings from plastic plants and secured with hot glue.

The belly dancer dolly shot was done using a home-made dolly constructed of a wood platform with 8 in-line skate wheels which moved on a track made from of 3/4 inch PVC plastic pipe. The belly dancer was my wife and her costume was hand-made (yes, she really does do belly dancing as a hobby).

The entire production was done in the living room of our house here in Kuwait with a dog and three cats running around the set at any given time.
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Mr Digger (I don't think I'm a senior enough member to use the more familiar "Word"). It add's a whole different perspective watching with the director's commentary.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Thanks for that Mr Digger (I don't think I'm a senior enough member to use the more familiar "Word"). It add's a whole different perspective watching with the director's commentary.
    Cute! - <smile>
    My first name is "Gaines" (like the dog food). Oh yea, I took a lot of ribbing for that name while growing up:
    (Gaines burger...gravy train...)

Yes, once you know how the illusion is accomplished, it is an eye opener. My first introduction to this fact was back in the 1980s, while visiting the Star Trek exhibit at the Smithsonian, I got to see the actual props used in the making of the old TV series. Captain Kirk's chair was made of painted plywood and those computer storage disks that played back the ship's log were only painted chips of wood. Watching Star Trek after that never was the same again. Reality, what a concept! (R. Williams)

Loved the read on the behind the scenes, considering its a living room production its pretty slick, great use of 30 seconds and cutting stuff like this is I believe the most difficult of all.

Well done.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo