Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding in the rain

Default Wedding in the rain

Here is a link to the wedding video that I just finished - it is about 30 megs but hopefully worth the download. I didn't want to compress it anymore or it just looks bad.

Please I would appreciate comments as I have not yet completed the rest of the DVD and can still make changes

When you get to the link please download it rather than watching it online as it often will view choppy online there are directions for anyone who needs them

http://www.itresponders.com/dgreason.htm

FYI - on thier wedding day it poured all day until the evening when the wedding started. The couple also finds the rain very romantic (as I do) so I included some shots of the rain - by the end of the day we had a beautifull double rainbow and gorgeous sunset to shoot.
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wedding in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Davewav
    The couple also finds the rain very romantic (as I do) so I included some shots of the rain
    I'm not sure the puddle transition works. I think this is def something you should run past "the client" first.

Your zooms are too much of a contrast to the slow-mo. I'd try and cut the cam zooms out completely or slow down your software zooms. Additionally, on a completely personal level, I don't like to see pictrure edges move accros the frame.

Apart from that, good job

Just to add my 2p worth:

The music sets the mood for the video brilliantly.

As for the sound of the rain, I suggest, rather than using the sound from the video iteself, as I can hear the wind blustering, and a very small jump when the scene changes, maybe use some stock sound of rain over the top instead.

Finally, on the less smooth parts of the shots, use some of the still photographs of the same scene (ask various people if you could use their photos), possibly using a slow zoom on them to make them appear less static.

Blog Entries

And now I can't get that bloody song out of my head. Oh well, beats 99 red balloons (don't ask) that I was humming all week.

You think that's bad. I had "Everybody in the house of love" by East 17 in my head for a period of a month once. Found myself humming it every day.

Help me.

Anyway, back on topic

Blog Entries

Yer, cheers. Guess what I'm now humming.

Okay - will do - so far we have got

cut the clips to remove the portions where the camera itself moves and or "jumps' - I guess I was wrong but I kind of like the clips where the camera moves a little as it zooms - it gave it a certain kind of I don't know maybe a feel where even though it was slowing down in speed to slo mo it wasn't a static slow and showed a little realism or life to the frame - not saying I am right but maybe someone could see what I was trying for and give me an idea of how to make it work - I have other shots where that doesn't happen that I could certainly use

Look at the water effect and find a better solution for the slow motion as it may not work together when they cross fade (any suggestions on how I could make it work - maybe it looks better in the full size footage but the water is just mesmerizing when I watch it I would hate to cut it out completely)

Go to stock rain sound (the reason I used the real stuff was I couldn't believe how well it came through - when the sound quality is at it's best I could not tell the difference between my recording and a nature rain sounds cd I have. (you are right though apart from the wind that hits the mike a couple of times and the transition - so close yet so far!)

Yeah Marc I hear you on the frame sliding across - this may be an example of an effect that I did because I could - although I did hold back on most of it - will consider taking this out changing it - what if it slid over another shot perhaps farther away of them holding hands then the close up slides acoss - of course this may work better as a fade or silhouette - but I don't think a video that is all fades is right either I wanted a little something different somewhere near the middle - oh and "The client" is my brother as I said in another post - don't want people thinking I am cooler than I am - but I do hope to get this right and start to build a sample DVD selection to possibly start a weekend business in the near future

Great feedback guys I will get to work on it and hopefully post an update - any more viewers with 2 cents?
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

Davwav,
    I liked the transition from the initial puddle to the wedding but perhaps too many transitions using the puddle.?? Thematically, it kind of makes the rain as big of a theme as the wedding but clearly that is not the intention - only the context for the wedding. Which brings me to my other thought - is there some way to put across the idea that the rain is a good thing. To many, rain on a wedding day is horrible, rain is gloomy, sad, depressing etc... It can also be romantic, but I'm not sure romance is established in the rain shots (which are good, the only thing is the same shots could be used to start a horror movie - know what I mean?). I don't know how poetic you are. Perhaps a few lines of text that might establish the romanticism and put across the theme of the wedding unfolding in this context. Maybe add in a few other thematic elements: candles, the church etc. so it's not as focussed on the rain.
    Good work!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JKing
    I liked the transition from the initial puddle to the wedding but perhaps too many transitions using the puddle.?? Thematically, it kind of makes the rain as big of a theme as the wedding but clearly that is not the intention - only the context for the wedding. Which brings me to my other thought - is there some way to put across the idea that the rain is a good thing. To many, rain on a wedding day is horrible, rain is gloomy, sad, depressing etc... It can also be romantic, but I'm not sure romance is established in the rain shots (which are good, the only thing is the same shots could be used to start a horror movie - know what I mean?).
    That's what I "meant" to say

I'm about as poetry literate as a large cardboard box with "egg" written on the side, but....

http://www.eharlequin.com/cms/online...=021101rp81001

?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast