Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should a wedding videographer charge?

Default What should a wedding videographer charge?

I'm not aiming at starting a business or anything. The question came up and got me to wondering is all...

I was wondering what a lone gunman wedding videographer should charge to make a (half) decent living in the UK.

How many weddings a year can he do. I reckon it might be reasonable to assume somewhere between 20 -30 weddings a year once he's established. So I reckon he's got to charge a bare minimum of £1K per wedding to run a business and make a living he could survive on. More likely he should charge somewhere between £1500 and £2000 to get along.

Anyone in the business? What's the goling rate then?

Blog Entries

It seems like a dog eat dog world out there. I checked the cost of "wedding video" on overture. Wasn't cheap. Like any area where the percieved initial costs are low, I would assume it's an area plagued with new comers - who quickly realise their costs are too high, income too low and leave the market (not before having an adverse effect on the market price!).

I'm just starting - and and pretty cheap - to get the client base .... My advert goes something like this:

CRS - Wedding DVD Filming Services
    Price & Service List

Service A: £250
    Firstly, we will film the arrival of your guests and the Wedding party at the church/Registry Office. Provided you get prior approval, we will also film key moments of the actual service. Where possible, we will film the taking of the photographs, the Bride and Groom welcoming their guests to the reception and conclude the filming with the cutting of the cake.

Service B: £325
    This is our most popular option. It includes everything from Service A, plus the speeches, the first dance (if you choose to have one…), and the first half hour of the reception.

Service C: £395
    The same as Service B, but with additional coverage of the reception until 10pm.

ALL SERVICES INCLUDE A MASTER COPY OF THE PROGRAM ON DVD/VHS

Additional tape copies are £15 each
    DVD discs are £25 each

Further coverage is available on request

I can see where you're coming from. Difficult to get established and be working full time for the first year or two I imagine.

I suspect the way to go would be to be a weekend hobbyist, get a reputation (good ones are better no doubt ) in the industry, earn a few bob into the bargain and then move into things full time when the order book is full enough.

Still the startup costs are relatively high. No doubt they are more than the first estimate of £5K. I didnlt include the cost of a decent VE rig (about £2.5K) and a Wedding Videographer's toolkit (wipes and animated backgrounds) £??? as well. Our £5K is already over 8 now!! And then there's local advertising, website creation etc.

Still, as we're already into the 'hobby' we'll already have one camera and a VE rig of some description. Start as budget videos with a single camera until enough money comes in to get the second one.

As a hobbyist though, what are the costs involved?

Giving up your Saturday, Mini-DV tapes, powere to charge the batteries and drive the rig for editing. Time for editing. How long's it take guys? Couple of 9-to-5's (or evenign equivalents) to bash out a handful of competed DVDs?

I reckong I would do that for about £400 a pop. Sound about right?

Quick google search, click on a UK link at random. Found this.

http://www.weddingdayvideos.co.uk/

Looks like they are charging somewhere between £750 and £1150. And the site lists what you get for your money too.

Our very own Mr. Jammy is in the business. As a serious hobbyist (second job?) if I read things right. No Prices on his web site though. Any comments Mr Jammy?

Blog Entries

Time to use that useless Business Studies module: what's your unique selling point?

How long does it take you to edit, master and burn the DVDs and cover art? Additionally, how much do you earn for a typical day in your current job (not one I expect you to answer, just worth considering)?

You may find you're better off increasing your prices. I can't imagine it's a service that's price sensitive. Typically people will want "the best" rather than compare prices in one-day events. If you charge double for all your videos and get half the business... well, what would you prefer?

It would also be a whole lot easier to REDUCE prices than INCREASE them. Just a simple matter of stating 20% discount. This also gives a percieved bargain if I'm wrong and weddings are price sensitive.

Finally, think about the market you're pitching to. I know you said you want to attract people (and therefore build your business) by the pile em high and sell low attitude, but this may attract the bargain basement folks. I'm thinking here of payment defaults, etc etc.

I've a full time pretty well paid job (in fact - sush...don't tell anyone... I'm the boss!). I've done so many, I've kinda got a pre-saved Premiere edit, just slip in the right stuff, and job done. The editing doesn't take a whole long time. I'm pretty ruthless with the editing. I don't think people want a 90 minute boring video, (complete with 20 minutes of line-up etc).

Basically - Intro, before the service/people arriving/Service HIGHLIGHTS/signing/exit/Photo Highlights (with lots of cutaways to guests and kids etc/toss shot/drive away/arrive/mabye more photos/Line-up highlights/Entrance of b&g/meal cutaways/cake cutting/speeches/first dance/and then a 3 minute arty round-up - with b&w slow mo and flowers only in colour/

Blog Entries

I've a full time pretty well paid job (in fact - sush...don't tell anyone... I'm the boss!).
    Then you'll understand that your free time is VERY expensive

As I'm sure you know, I actually ENJOY filming and a really LOVE editing!

Be even better being paid for it...

Quote Originally Posted by argento
    As I'm sure you know, I actually ENJOY filming and a really LOVE editing!

Be even better being paid for it...
    This might actually be one of the larger problems. At the moment you love and enjoy editing. If you did it for a living it would only be a question of time before "ah great, time to do some editing" turns into "Oh bugger, I've got to go to work now". It would soon change from a 'fun hobby' into 'work'. Be careful.

As to the money. I too am in a decent enough paid job. Would be a long time before somethign like paid the way for me. I'd have to charge four figures and then produce at least one a week to get close. Not likely. Best to keep it as a hobby or semi-proffessional I think. But then again, it sounds like you've already reached that level.

And if you do it as a sideline, I hope you remember to let the tax man know about it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast