Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "On the shoulder" DV camera....

Default "On the shoulder" DV camera....

Went to a wedding on Saturday, and notice the 4(!) cameramen were all using shoulder mounted cameras.

Anybody know what cameras can do this or if you can convert your existing cameras to do this....

Surely it got to result in a steader picture? :

Searched google and came up with a few hits. here's one at random that has a harness and list of cameras that fit.

http://www.studio1productions.com/dvbrace.htm

These things are really for prosumer models and above though.

Btw four cameras seems a little excessive for a wedding doesn't it? I though most outfits took two and then one of them was static mounted so you're only paying for one guy rather than 4. Do you know the cost of the wedding video package at all?

No- but they had more guys all day from 10 in the morning until the end of the night - gone 1am.....

For the evening, two guys stood on chairs and just filmd the dance floor all night, on guy just followed the bride and one guy followed the groom....ALL NIGHT!! Most have cost a load.

For the service, one was to the right, one to the left, and one directly behind the priest. The last guy was as the back, and then, when they signed the register, he went up and down all the pews in the church (with his lamp on) and filmed everybody in the congregation.... OTT or what!!

Blog Entries

That's some serious wonga. On the shoulder jobies are typically at least 4k (unless they've got their hands on an ageing cam a la National Lampoon's Eurpoean Vacation). I honestly can't imagine why you would even need 4 cameremen! Overkill? Maybe a case of someone justifying costs? Or perhaps the wedding of a BBC cameraman? Maybe it was actually an outside broadcast for a TV programme?!?!

There's even a distinct possibilty that every shot has another camerman in it!

Quote Originally Posted by argento
    .... OTT or what!!
    Not as OTT as the price they are charging I expect

Got me to wondering what a lone gunman wedding videographer should be charging though... I'll start another thread ratehr than hijack this one any further so over to 'off topic' I go...

I'll be intrested in that thread....Because thats the business I'm just starting...

Blog Entries

A thank you and a pat on the back (if you're lucky) is the going rate - at least in my experience

Exactly... I've done over 20 weddings now - figured I may as well start charging now. Plus my vids are usually better than the professional ones I've seen....

Blog Entries

I'm assuming you're a member of a church community...

Quote Originally Posted by argento
    Exactly... I've done over 20 weddings now - figured I may as well start charging now. Plus my vids are usually better than the professional ones I've seen....
    What sort of time scale was this 20 done in? 20 since the year dot or in the last 12 months maybe?

But with that sort of number you have likely got a standard formula to work by and can crank them out pretty well i reckon.

Could you earn a living at it though? Still, even as an amateur (or semi professional) doing the things as a hobby it's nice pocket money and can keep you in XL2s eh?

As an example, a mate at work here is a keen hobbyist and has been asked to do a small handfull of weddings. He now charges about Ģ350 for his troubles. I think this is amongst friends and family though so harder to charge over the odds for those I suspect.

Also, think about startup costs.

2 Cameras.
    1 decent tripod
    Multi batteries
    Decent suit to wear.

No change from Ģ5K there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast