Thread: MovieBox DV

Default MovieBox DV

Had the following up on Pinnacle forum with no luck, then found this forum

Here goes...
    #############################

Having spent UK 170 on Studio9 with Moviebox DV so that I can transfer analogue video tape from a standard VCR to the computer - the quality of the captured video is crap - full of 'noise'/pixelation or whatever the blotches are!!

I am not using Studio9 s/w at all, as from what I understand, the Moviebox dv converts the analogue signal into DV 25Mbits/sec and this is what the computer 'sees' as the input via the firewire port.
    Indeed, when connected the box is seen in Windows Explorer as an AVC Compliant DV Camcorder. However, connect any device (including the AV output of a camcorder, VCR) to any of the Moviebox analogue inputs and the converted digital output (as viewed in whatever s/w you like on the computer) is the same - crap.

Connect the camcorder to Moviebox via the DV connection and the picture on the computer is fine.

Connect a TV monitor to Moviebox analogue output and the picture is fine.

This seems to suggest that the problem lies in the Moviebox internal A-D converter.

I've tried the setup on Windows XP SP1 and SP2 on several different computers - same problems.

Am I missing something here? Is there some wrong driver or setting on my computer that's the culprit?

My understanding of the firewire port is that it expects/accepts a DV signal from whatever device is attached and if what it is receiving is displayed in Windows Explorer as distorted, then a distorted signal is being fed in (garbage in/garbage out.

Please can someone help here?

Many thanks

ROBERT
    ps

Can you try something for me?
    1. Connect some analog source to inputs (VCR, AV output of camcorder etc.
    2. Have videobox connected to computer via firewire cable.
    3. Start the tape playing in the connected analog source.
    3. Start Windows Explorer, or My Computer - select the AVC Compliant DV Camcorder.

What sort of picture do you see? Is it covered in small squares?

If you could try this and let me know it would be a great help - reason - see my other post (bluemarlin2)

#############################

Default Bit more info...

Just to add some extra... ...see

link to my thread

and follow the bluemarlin2 mesages- lots of reads, but no replies, even from Pinnacle tech staff?? Can you explain that - I can't!

Blog Entries

Well, if I understand you, then you're connecting to your PC via firewire. So, I suggest you download DVIO. This application can ONLY capture in DV, so you'll be forced to capture in DV .

I have seen lots of people in the Liquid Edition forums mentioning that they use the Moviebox DV. It might be worth posting in the LE forums (even though it's ultimately going into Studio) just to see if it's a Movebox Dv problem.

Sorry I can't help you but I don't have the Moviebox DV.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks for your replies.

I have in desparation forked out another 200 for a DAC-100 and it does just what it says on the box - perfectly for my needs and have got my project done on time ;>)

I am now in touch with a Pinnacle tech guy and have sent him sample video clips from the Moviebox. If anyone is interested, the clips (and a couple of snapshots) are here...

http://uk.geocities.com/blue.marlin@...rld.com/Video/

Anyone using MovieBox might like to compare and comment?

Regards

ROBERT
    To womb it may concern...
    (letter to my mum)

Hi there mate

I know this thread is a bit old

I also have a MovieBox DV

I tried some of the things you mentioned, it all works fine - decent image for composite inputs and decent sound.

Check the wires are firmly connected to the MovieBox - I find that sometimes the image can be distorted if they are not firmly pressed in or loose.

P.S - I dropped buying the DAC-100 and took the MovieBox, cos it looked better and it did what I needed :P

Ray