Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Fade/Flash Effect? (Video Link Provided)

Default White Fade/Flash Effect? (Video Link Provided)

YouTube - Lord of the Rings "Ascension" featuring Burn by Sevendust

Does anyone know how to perform the white flash/fade effect used in the video above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Most editors have a 'fade to white' transition - easy peasy.

True, but its not the basic fade to white transition. The one used in the video above isn't the entire frame, its only certain portions of the clip.

It also looks like a mixture of some kind of glow/opacity effect.

Blog Entries

( wathces agin paying attention ) - gotcha - its 'glow' on white ramped using keyframes. The glow plug in has a few sliders - go fiddle and i am sure you will get it looking the same.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Which package does the Glow Plugin come with? I'm guessing its a 3rd party plugin since its not with all the other effects that came installed with Premiere.

I think Glow might only be in After Effects. You can recreate this effect (at least somewhat) in premiere by playing with a few different effects.

I'd recommend checking out Andrew Kramer's tutorial on videocopilot.net - I don't recall the exact name, but the clip was a transition during a chinese new year parade. That will teach you what the effect is usually composed from.

Finally, here's a 30-second clip I made entirely in Premiere - it uses the type of effect you're going for, I think. I played with contrast settings, speed, and a few effects that were similar to "glow" to create the effect.

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries

Soz - I was in vegas mode above - forgot i was on the ae sexction. I aam suprised there is no glow in premier as it is a well usefull tool.

I think guitarfaces is on the mark as far as Premiere is concerned, I've fiddled with contrast, brightness and gaussian blurs to pretty much replicate the effect you show, adding a duplicate layer and using transparency helps to maintain the image whilst the highlights progressively blow out using keyframes.

Premiere may well have a fade to white, but in Adobe style finding it might be awkward, so I've simply created a number of stock bitmaps of appropriately sized images of simple flood fills of whatever colour you want to flash into. A couple of frames of nothing but white for instance crossfaded into the sequence gives varying control on the attack and decay rates of the flash.

There's a video tutorial on how to do exactly this over at the creative cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
    I think guitarfaces is on the mark as far as Premiere is concerned, I've fiddled with contrast, brightness and gaussian blurs to pretty much replicate the effect you show, adding a duplicate layer and using transparency helps to maintain the image whilst the highlights progressively blow out using keyframes.

Premiere may well have a fade to white, but in Adobe style finding it might be awkward, so I've simply created a number of stock bitmaps of appropriately sized images of simple flood fills of whatever colour you want to flash into. A couple of frames of nothing but white for instance crossfaded into the sequence gives varying control on the attack and decay rates of the flash.
    If you wouldn't mind posting how exactly you went about it (which effects & specific settings or a general idea), I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty much a editing novice here, and really want to replicate that effect the exact same way. Either Premiere or Sony Vegas is fine, as I use both programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    There's a video tutorial on how to do exactly this over at the creative cow.
    Is it one of the tutorials listed here?

Creative COW Tutorials

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast