Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duo or Quad Processors?

1. Default Duo or Quad Processors?

Hi,

I'm buying a new PC on which Sony Vegas Pro 8 and Sony Cinescore (among others) are likely to be my most labour intensive pieces of software as I want to dabble with editing AVCHD with my Sony cameras.

My question is this: Is it best to go for the smaller processor (say 2.4ghz) which is an Intel QUAD core or go for a faster processor (say 2.8ghz) which is DUAL core? Using multi-media applications I'd assume that the slower quad core is best but I'm not sure of this.
    Does anyone have the technical knowledge to help or even suggest whether either of the above specs will be perfectly adequate for my needs.

Thanks

Matt (Goldfinger)

In most cases the faster dual-core will get you more performance. Multithreading (running more threats at the same time on a multicore processor) is not at it's best yet. Most programs will fully benefit the dual-core and will not improve performance on quad-core.

Coding Horror: Choosing Dual or Quad Core

Dual core, quad core processors hit a snag?

VMware: VROOM!: Comparing Intel Dual-Core and Quad-Core Using VMmark

Blog Entries

I would go for quad as vegas is optimzed to use 4 cores.

4. Default

A ha, the old classic conflicting info thread!! :0) Anyone out there who can cast the deciding vote! I will want Vegas to obviously run as smoothly as possible so maybe the quad core would be better?!!

Cheers guys

5. Default

Thanks for the links by the way derkvanl - just checked them out. I'm more enlightened and now even more confused :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I would go for quad as vegas is optimzed to use 4 cores.

I agree I would definitly go quad too. I would recommend you google some benchmark competitions between them.

Blog Entries

It amy be worth asking sony for advice, but like i said vegas pimps itself as fully able to use 4 cores so that is most likely the advice they will give.

8. Default

So we're agreed, the slower 2.4Ghz quad core processor gets the vote over the 2.8ghz dual core?

If so, that's where my money is heading! I'll post the exact specs and let you know how it performs once I'm up and running.

Cheers

Blog Entries

My understanding is that many games may be a tiny bit faster on a figher clocked 2 core but vegas has been written to max out 4. Can check with my for cored friend if you want.

10. Default

That would be great if you could ! Just so I can get a definitive answer - I've contacted Sony, still waiting to hear back but will post here when I do

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast