Thread: Importing miniDV Footage! I give you permission to laugh at me! :(

Default Importing miniDV Footage! I give you permission to laugh at me! :(

I'm just a noob and I'm looking to all the super techy experts to help me I'm having problems importing my miniDV footage from my camcorder to Adobe premiere. Alright, so I'm using a Canon HV30. On Premiere, I connected it to the firewire cable, rewinded the footage all the way back and put it on playback mode. I then went to Windows>Capture Then it says "Capture Device Offline." I tried re-plugging it in. Restarting the computer with it on. Everything. It still either gave me that message, or "Unable to capture footage" (I forgot the exact words, but that message only showed up once). Any ideas as to why it's not reading my camcorder? :( Good vibes and bright rays of sunshine to the sweet people who help me out

Default Video Capture

I'm a newbie too, but I think you just press play on your camcorder then it will let you start a capture. Hope it works.

Check the menu on the camcorder to ensure you are using DV out and not DV in as you want to send video out of the camcorder to the computer.

Not sure in detail about the HV30, but as indicated it may need to be told to output as DV, my Sony's certainly do, they have on board converters that change the HDV to DV, and this has to be turned on, do this before connecting to the firewire. When it's all working you should be able to control the camera from the computer.

Why are you capturing thorugh Windows when you can do it through Premiere?

Also, can you see the video monitor in Premiere if you ppress the play button on the camera when you are looking at the capture window. If you don't see your video playing back in the capture window, you need to change the capture settings to Firewire IEEE 1394 under the general tab in Premiere Capture settings.