Thread: Vegas Capturing Help

Default Vegas Capturing Help

Hey everyone. I do all my video editing with Vegas 7.0 but have always captured in Windows Movie Maker simply because it captures my file into one .avi file.

But recently I have had audio problems when putting the files into Vegas to edit so I have tried capturing the footage with Vegas and that does fix the problem BUT it creates lots of .avi files when I capture.
    Iv tried looking in the capture properties on how to stop then from capturing heaps of seperate clips an just creating ONE clip even when I start an stop capture but dont know how ? In Movie Maker I would click capture and capture the footage I wanted an when I clicked "stop capture" it would stop an let me keep going on with capturing the same one .avi file. But when I "stop capture" in Vegas it automaticaly saves the clips. Its hard to explain but I hope someone can help. Thanks, Laurie

Blog Entries

Firstly, to answer your question:
    When you have the capture window open, click on Options | Preferences from the menu bar.
    Click on the "Capture" tab in the Preferences dialog
    Uncheck the top item "Enable DV scene detection"
    Solved.

Now my question to you is WHY would you want one long file rather than lots of small ones?
    The way scene detection works is it creates a new file every time you hit the record button when you were shooting. Think about it. You shoot one scene. Then you shoot another. There is absolutely no logical reason to have the frames at the end of one scene attached to the first frames of the second. Even if you want to create a video in a chronological manner, you are still going to want to be able to identify the beginning and end of each scene in order to trim, abut, dissove, or insert a transition.

On the other hand, one file per "scene" has many advantages ... just off the top of my head
    1) You can delete the total rubbish (and thus free up space on your hard disk and have less "clutter" to wade through)
    2) You can organise your clips in many ways - in particular you could use Media Manager to catalogue your clips which, if you put the effort in would make it a breeze to find, say, all the clips containing the bride or all the extreme close ups or all the potential cutaways etc etc (and, even more usefully any shots of the bride which are extreme closeups)
    3) You can much more easily identify which shots you have placed on your timeline.

You're not alone in not wanting scene detection, but I can't see what you lose by having it.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-17-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Finger trouble
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Firstly, to answer your question:
    When you have the capture window open, click on Options | Preferences from the menu bar.
    Click on the "Capture" tab in the Preferences dialog
    Uncheck the top item "Enable DV scene detection"
    Solved.

Now my question to you is WHY would you want one long file rather than lots of small ones?
    The way scene detection works is it creates a new file every time you hit the record button when you were shooting. Think about it. You shoot one scene. Then you shoot another. There is absolutely no logical reason to have the frames at the end of one scene attached to the first frames of the second. Even if you want to create a video in a chronological manner, you are still going to want to be able to identify the beginning and end of each scene in order to trim, abut, dissove, or insert a transition.

On the other hand, one file per "scene" has many advantages ... just off the top of my head
    1) You can delete the total rubbish (and thus free up space on your hard disk and have less "clutter" to wade through)
    2) You can organise your clips in many ways - in particular you could use Media Manager to catalogue your clips which, if you put the effort in would make it a breeze to find, say, all the clips containing the bride or all the extreme close ups or all the potential cutaways etc etc (and, even more usefully any shots of the bride which are extreme closeups)
    3) You can much more easily identify which shots you have placed on your timeline.

You're not alone in not wanting scene detection, but I can't see what you lose by having it.

Hey Tim, thanks for your reply. I unchecked "Enable DV scene detection" but when I click start an stop capture it is still creating files from each time iv hit record.
    I have thought of a way of joining them all togeter but am worried about the video losing quality. See once I have finished capturing all the little clips go into "Project Media". If I select them and drag them up into the video editing section an render them as .avi would that be considered as like a SECOND save therefore losing quality ?
    Or is there another way of when starting an stopping capturing that it will all just go into one clip ?

I definately understand scene detection, I try to save harddrive space went capturing, I just dont capture the useless footage. Also in editing it does seem a lot better but the kind of footage I get is all differant stuff but when it comes to my surfing footage it is annoying to look for that one wave and have to open each window or search for it in Vegas. It seems easier for me clicking through the footage an jogging my memory of when I caught which wave. Once again its hard to explain but yeah.
    Let me know if there is still a way of capturing the files into one clip like in Windows Movie Maker. Thanks again for your reply Tim. Laurie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_hammy View Post
    Hey Tim, thanks for your reply. I unchecked "Enable DV scene detection" but when I click start an stop capture it is still creating files from each time iv hit record.
    My misunderstanding. You were referring to hitting "record" when capturing, yes?
    I'm not aware of any way of doing that (and I wasn't aware WMM did that either - you learn somethimg new every day).
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie_hammy View Post

I have thought of a way of joining them all togeter but am worried about the video losing quality. See once I have finished capturing all the little clips go into "Project Media". If I select them and drag them up into the video editing section an render them as .avi would that be considered as like a SECOND save therefore losing quality ?
    That will work with no loss of quality because you're not converting anything (unless you chose different parameters for the avi than the capture, obviously) In the render will happen really quickly and while re-rendering, if all parameters are correct, you should see "No recompression required" in the preview window.
    Tim