Thread: Critics Welcome...

Default Critics Welcome...

Hey guys...

Here are a couple of videos I have done. Any suggestions or constructive criticism?

C
    Last edited by Mark W; 08-17-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    Our guidelines for posting in this section are one film per post. I have edited your post accordingly.

Hi Smith,

Welcome to the forums

I watched your clip and wondered firstly who it was intended for. It seemed more personal to those who attended OCU as opposed to an outreach video for those who may not attend church etc!

Secondly I noticed the sync was out, could be a you tube thing, not sure.

The sound needs improving. Maybe use a seperate sound recorder or directional mike etc.

The biggest problem was the stability of the filming or lack of it. It was extremely shaky throughout. You really need a tripod. It will make a huge difference here.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

GDR

Mark thanks for the heads up.

GDR, thanks for the review man. It is nice to finally get some feedback on one of my videos. Sound and stability are problems I face with every video I do. I do not have the best equipment (seeing as how I am a poor college student) so I have to do with what I have.

Investing in a tripod is a great idea though. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

The clip was intended for the senior class at Ohio Christian Univesity. They showed it at one of the chapel's near the end of the semester.

Thanks again man, it means a lot.

C

Hi Smith,

Keep going! I am sure that whatever you do, if for the right intentions it will be used greatly to help many!!!

A tripod will certainly help. Keep us posted with your future projects.

Cheers.

GDR

Blog Entries

Lots of interview situations work best with a camera static on a tripod, others are better hand held.

Hand held gives you the chance of moving the camera as another creative tool.

You have given us the worst of both- shaky cam - static shot.

My suggestion is that if you shoot h held, and i would for this, then be a bit braver, get closer, slowly track / pan, try crane type shots with your arms. And you must find a way to stop shaking!!! Never zoom in shotting h held, make sure anti shake is switched on, find a posture that works for you and stick to it, try adding weight to the camera.

I assume this has a target audience and i am not it. To the casual viewer the god stuff comes across as preachy and irrelevant. If it is for a general audience it's presence needs to be put into context along with a bit more about the school and stuff.

Mark thank you for the great adivce. It is much needed considering the equipment I have, or dont have for that matter. I'll definitely write down what you said and use them next time I am in this situation. I like the crane technique you were talking about. I've seen it done before but for some reason I haven't used it.

The target audience was the students at Ohio Christian University. It is a holiness bible college so the context here would have been understood.

Thanks

Dear Mr Smith..

Apart from all the above suggestions which I totally agree with I would like to see the titling done on anything but white, its just very hard on the senses.

Light text on dark backgrounds I feel works best, and youi will find the people watching it will find it easier to view.

Its like being snowblind...too white.

Looks like good clean fun, and happy people, its ashame we are all not in such a perfect world all the time.

Cheers, Leo.

Leo, thanks for the suggestions. It does seem pretty "snowblind"-ish. Never really noticed. Thanks man. In my future videos, i'll be sure to change that.

C