Thread: Help on video playback

Default Help on video playback

hi guys, new here. hoping somebody could help me.

anyway here goes. each time i import fairly large sized videos (700 mb - 1.2 gb) on vegas pro 8, the video is all kinda funky looking. here are images to illustrate:

actually, same thing happens when i import the videos on windows movie maker or ulead video studio 10. is this like an issue with codecs or anything? the videos play fine when opened in media player or any other video player.

thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

My guess is it's nothing to do with the size of the video, more likely the formats. Check the codecs of some that do work and some that don't (Download GSpot - it's free fro codec info on each file)
    I'm only guessing here, but is it possible you're treating NTSC as PAL or vide-versa?
    Tim

^hi sir thanks for the reply! i figured it all out. downloaded Gspot, and saw that the videos were xVid encoded (if my term is right)! so went on and downloaded the xvid codec and they're working fine now! whew

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm only guessing here, but is it possible you're treating NTSC as PAL or vide-versa?
    Well, the Project Media window has identified it as 29.97 and the Preview is in 29.97. Hmmm.... But what I also note is that the Preview is on BEST, ok, but AUTO. Auto allows preview to re-size your viewed content to "fit" into the present size of Preview screen; you go bigger the Auto will try and fit to size. However, this is at the risk of loosing some quality on preview. Sooooo.... switch to Best FULL. If you do have the Preview screen small then you want see all the frame, but you should get a better view.

Ah! Just noticed something. Did you video pointing at a TV screen? Did you? I can see that this file is named "Sharapova" and again content saying "French Open"? If you did, then there is more opportunity for capturing issues. How DID you capture this footage??

Bottom line here is that the project "appears" to be set up to use the media within the Project media. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a CODEC issue here. I think there is something more fundamental. You say "funky", I'm assuming you mean that it is at a slant and that there are LINES across? Yes?

Interested . . . . .

Grazie

Good! I was wrong. It WAS a codec issue after all. Glad you fixed it.

Grazie

Would you show us what it looks like now? I'd be interested to see how much better it has improved?

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Good! I was wrong. It WAS a codec issue after all.
    Ah but I was wrong, too. And, given your keen observations, Grazie, I was more wrong than you. So I claim the prize for being most wrong
    Tim