Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems editing AVCHD (Canon HF10) with Pinnacle Studio - any alternatives?

Default Problems editing AVCHD (Canon HF10) with Pinnacle Studio - any alternatives?

Hi,

I have some trouble finding out how to edit my video recorded with my Canon HF10 camera.

The format of the recorded movie is AVCHD, so I couldn't use Premiere Pro without having to convert the files in some way.. so I chose to find another program supporting AVCHD directly.
    I tried out Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate instead, but this program seems to be really flawed.. I have tried importing the files from my camera, saved the project, but when I try to open the project again the program crashes. The movie's length is about 2 hours, could this be too much for the program to handle since AVCHD is quite demanding? The program seems to do okay with smaller movie clips.

Have anyone else tried something similar?

It shouldn't be my hardware causing the problems since it's a brand new Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 Ghz and 4GB ram and I haven't experienced any problems with other programs or anything.

I am considering getting another better program than Pinnacle - I have read a bit about Sony Vegas - will this program be able to handle AVCHD files ?

Thanks in advance

I can't believe noone can help me? :(

Blog Entries

Please search the forums. There are many posts concerning AVCHD editing, including:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/perfect...ught-work.html

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/adobe-p...g-quality.html

I haven't been able to find anyone with similar problems with Pinnacle, so that's why I made a new post

But will Sony Vegas Pro 8 work with the Canon HF10? It's difficult to find any clear answers :(

I've had same problems with Pinnacle Studio Plus 12. I have Sony HDR-TH1E camcorder. Editing a full HD movie goes ok if you have only a couple of minutes of material. But with 20 minutes or more even one small move with the mouse takes a load of time with crashing from time to time. With my Core2 Duo on 3.6 GHz, 2 x 400 GB disks and GeForce 8600 GTS I presume that even HD should not be a problem.

After searching some video editing forums I tried with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 and seem to be a right choice. It is suprisingly fast, no crashes and good output. User interface is intuitive and as a long time Pinnacle user I did not have any problems switching to Vegas in a couple of hours.

Thanks

I've also been looking at the more expensive Vegas Pro 8, do you know if this is only beneficial for professional editing? I looked here to compare the various editions: Sony Creative Software - Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack - Vegas Family Comparison

It looks like the cheaper version got more premade stuff? Like sound effects, transitions etc. not sure if this is right?

Though my bad experience with Pinnacle draws me a bit away from wasting more money at cheaper programs not working as intented, but if the only difference between the various versions of Vegas are features primarily used for professional editing, I could just as well go with the cheaper version

I think that Pro pack is realy intended for pro's. I'll stay with non-pro version. I just finished my second movie and as far as I'm really dissapointed with Pinnacle 12 the Vegas amazed me so far with the speed and ease of use.

Sony Vegas Pro 8b can edit the files, although you have to export them to a different format once you are done editing.

Quote Originally Posted by videopro View Post
    Sony Vegas Pro 8b can edit the files, although you have to export them to a different format once you are done editing.
    True vegas 8b will not output 1920 only 1440 Anyone know what the new premiere elements 7 which can edit avchd will output ? regards gordon

I to found Pinnacle Ultimate 12 impossible to edit with and now use Ulead Video Studio11.5 Plus, it has a proxy editing option that takes the load of the processor, and will output an AVCHD video at full 1080x1920 using a smart render, were it only renders any parts that have changed like titles and such, the same as Womble MPEG Video Wizard does. it saves consideably on encoding time. the only trouble is Pixela Image Mixer won't put it back to the HF10. My system is a Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz 2GB ram, on board video and runing XP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast