Thread: Drawing in Sony Vegas.

Default Drawing in Sony Vegas.

Hi,

Im looking for a plugin or a tutorial or any other way you can draw what ever you like in a video.

Thanks in advance.
    Guere

Blog Entries

Realistically*** you'll need a drawing or animation program. You'll create either stills or video in that with a transparent background (alpha channel) OR the background in one colour only then import that into Vegas on a track above your "filmed" media (using chromakey if you didn't use alpha channel)

***Potentially you could "sort of" draw using generated media, text media or ProType, but this would be very tediaous and extremely limited.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Realistically*** you'll need a drawing or animation program. You'll create either stills or video in that with a transparent background (alpha channel) OR the background in one colour only then import that into Vegas on a track above your "filmed" media (using chromakey if you didn't use alpha channel)

***Potentially you could "sort of" draw using generated media, text media or ProType, but this would be very tediaous and extremely limited.

Okay, chromakey works, but it effects the video's original color...
    I've seen tons of videos, where people draw stuff, without any changes to the video.. so there must be another way..

I also tryed drawing something in Photoshop with transparent background... but I dont really know how that works... which format do I save the file, and what do I do afterwards in Sony Vegas...
    I'm really knew on this, so if you could explain it to me again with little more details I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guereucb View Post
    ...I've seen tons of videos, where people draw stuff, without any changes to the video.. so there must be another way..
    ... and that way, as Tim has said, is to use another external program. It simply can't be done easily and with any degree of complexity within Vegas.

How complex do you need these drawings to be exactly?

EDIT - Just re-read your reply. Export your image from photoshop as a .png file and it'll retain the transparency as well as being importable into Vegas.

You must remember - Vegas is a video editing program, not animation software. Two entirely different things...
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 08-15-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    EDIT - Just re-read your reply. Export your image from photoshop as a .png file and it'll retain the transparency as well as being importable into Vegas.

Okay, I'm getting closer now. But I still need that last push...
    I made a .png file. (with transparant background), but I cannot see it whenever I add it to a video in Vegas. The screen is just black. How exacly do I put it together along with the video?

Sorry for being so stupid

Blog Entries

Got me. I just tried it (to double check) and it "just worked"..
    Opened Photoshop Elements 2.0 (Hey - it does everything I need so why upgrade?)
    Created a new file with transparent background
    Scribbled on it in blue with a brush and saved it as test.png
    Opened Vegas
    Put some video on track 1 (& sound on track 2)
    Inserted a new video track above track 1 (becoming the new track 1.
    Droped the test.png onto the new track and hey presto - my scribble appears superimposed on the video.

Are you following exactly those steps?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Got me. I just tried it (to double check) and it "just worked"..
    Opened Photoshop Elements 2.0 (Hey - it does everything I need so why upgrade?)
    Created a new file with transparent background
    Scribbled on it in blue with a brush and saved it as test.png
    Opened Vegas
    Put some video on track 1 (& sound on track 2)
    Inserted a new video track above track 1 (becoming the new track 1.
    Droped the test.png onto the new track and hey presto - my scribble appears superimposed on the video.

Are you following exactly those steps?
    YEY!

Finally worked

The trick was simply putting the .png file above the video&sound... (like you said)

Well, thanks a million to both of you