Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan and Scan/PIP

Default Pan and Scan/PIP

I was just reading some of the post and came across Pan and Scan for Studio 9. Since I'm not at home with the owner’s manual in front of me...can someone explain what pan and scan is and how to use it? Also how do I get PIP to work? I like the idea but don't know how to do it.

TIA,
    Dave B

Blog Entries

My understanding of pan and scan is creating a 4:3 image from a 16:9 one - essentially cropping a widescreen image to fill the whole of a full screen TV.

I believe Picture in Picture was never available before as it requires more than one video layer. From the presets I've seen in other apps, all you do is drop the effect on, and it will resize and move the video to the appropriate place on the screen (for example for a 4x PIP, there will be four presets for the four video clips you need to create the effect (top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right).

Well then I have been doing the Pan and Scan all along. When I capture a video clip and go to edit it, the puter automatically sets the screen to wide screen. I have to convert it back to a 4:3 ratio.

One time I thought it would be nice to put together a wide screen video clip. I had a problem though, when I tried to edit the video in the wide screen mode it wouldn't let me drag and drop the video clip into the time line. Why is that? Is it a feature for DVD mode only? That doesn’t make sense either because it won’t know DVD mode until your ready to render right?

I still don't understand the PIP. You talked about video layers and dropping the effect on and then you said something about four presets.

First where do I find the effect, and once I find it is it a drag and drop? Then the computer figures out all the rest of the formula, (presets)? Can I move the PIP screen to any corner that I wish?
    Dave B

In Studio 9 Plus you can, if you wish, create a PiP effect from the additional Video track it now comes with. However, there is also a dedicated PiP effect which will allow you to create PiP without using the additional video track (at least that's my understanding of it).

Actually, there is no dedicated pan and scan editor as this is usually done through your normal editing process (as you mentioned). What you are referring to I think is the Pan and Zoom functionality. This allows you, for example, to import a picture and pan around the pic and zoom in and out.

If you want a site with great info on Studio 9 then take a look here: www.mikeshaw.co.uk and in particular http://www.mikeshaw.co.uk/newslett.htm for more Studio 9 Plus info
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Although I think it's great that Pinnacle introduce these effects as presets, I can't help but think a) because they are presets, there's little room for creativity and b) natural consquence of (a) is that all videos start to look the same.

However, I do like to waste my time messing about with settings. I guess not everyone has the time (nor the inclination) to waste!

I think the effects (or at least the PiP one anyway) are quite customisable and each video within it can also then have other effects applied to it (giving the opportunity for more uniqueness). As I mentioned though, it is possible to do it the more traditional way and use the second video track.

I think programs like Studio and Premiere Elements have to stike an uneasy balance with providing the user a decent amount of control and not creating an interface which scares the bejesus out of them.

I can't tell you the words that came out of my mouth the first time I fired up Liquid Edition and saw the interface Needless to say I just fly round it now.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

LJR:

Saw your post and was really wondering how you feel about your transition from Pinnacle to LE? I have just recently been getting into video editing and really am enjoying. My first project was a 15 minute takeoff of Trading Spaces. It was awesome and fun to dive into. I have since been handed 3 projects in the last 4 months that my Church has requested and so far they have been extremely pleased with what I have done. I am currently working on a quick 5 minute video for them on Baptism. Something so short has become such a challenge.

Anyway, I have just recently purchased the new add on that Pinnacle is advertising and mentioned here for PIP along with a green screen for future projects I hope. I realize that I have probably spent quite a bit on Pinnacle and moving to LE would be a major step along with the fact that it puts everything I already have obsolete. Is LE a easy transition or will it take allot to relearn what I have been doing with Pinnacle already?

Any advice appreciated and feel free to e-mail me off line if you prefer.

Thanks

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

I love Pinnacle LE, it's a great, fast performing, exceptionally stable and feature-rich editor (in a nutshell). I am looking forward to upgrading to the new release 6.0 next month with all the added functionality that goes with it. I never used Studio 8 or 9 in the past, I started with Studio 400 (many moons ago) and then their DC10 product and then had a big break in editing and when I came back to it went straight in with Edition.

The downside of LE is the learning curve. This has nothing to do with the interface, which many reviewers stuck with pre-conceived idea all applications absolutely must conform to the same interface would suggest, but more to do with the fact you actually have to really understand more about video editing, its terminology, and all that goes with it. I think the same could be said when moving from any consumer package to the more professional type offerings (Adobe Elements to Pro for example).

What I would suggest is that if Studio 9 is doing all you need it to for now then I would say stick with it. If and when the time comes where you feel it is holding you back in some way then look to upgrade then.

Remember that by contacting Pinnacle you can get a Liquid Edition trial CD ROM. Wait until 6.0 is out though
    Lloyd

Originally I thought that LE was an upgrade package for Studio 9 so I'm glad this was brought up and talked about. I think I'll stick with 9 for now

One of these days I'll start making a video for the contest, Marc. Right now things are a little hectic, but I have a question about the last contest...How many of those videos where made with 9 or LE or any other program?

Dave B
    Dave B

You can upgrade from Studio 9 to LE, by that I mean there is an upgrade path. However, the two applications are completely different from each other. One good thing though is that from LE 6.0 you can port your studio projects into Liquid Edition.

With regards the competition movies, I think most people here are using Premiere Pro (or Premiere 6.5).
    Lloyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast