Thread: Learning Premiere

Default Learning Premiere

As a beginner, I see how somethings can be rather difficult to learn, or understand at least. If it is ok with the Admin I would be glad to post what I call revelations at the time as I go along in my process of learning editing here. So with permission I will share what has cost me the last 20 hours at keyboard, and in a way leaving me with a feeling of egg on face when I did finally find what I was doing wrong. I am using Adobe Premiere 6.0 and trying to do a simple edit of 3 clips where I only want the effect of transitions. My first reaction was this program is so complex, where do I start, and so I search tuorials and alas landed right back here at this site, and folowed step by step the tutorial offered here. I learned how to open clips, what the Bin was, setup several Bins for organization of elements like Music, Titling and Credits. I have on paper a storyboard I have to follow and so without at this point trying to fix time frames, will adjust the music to the film. My frustration began when I applied transitions as per the tutorial and several other tutorials of similar nature. THinking I would see the effect in my view screen I thought I was doing something wrong, or maybe a problem with the files or program even. I tried everything! except doing a render to the video. Not wanting to render as yet, I checked all my help files and re-searched the web for what I may be doing wrong. Then I read another tutorial and there was this one little line that said to view the transition effects, "Hold the alt key down while scrubbing. Whaaa Laaaa I see what I will be rendering at some point.
    I hope this is helpful
    Harlan

After you apply each transition hit Enter to render the effect, it will be stored on disc until to you make any significant changes to it - just hit enter again to re-render.

tonga.

ps try reading the manual and various tutorials again - its all there.