Thread: how do i put video on computer

Default how do i put video on computer

Ive got an ol sony digital 8 handycam video recorder DCR-TRV260, but ive lost the cd that comes with the camera when it was new. I dont know where I can find that CD to install on my computer to load video on my computer that is on my video camera. I want to make small hunting videos for me and my friends but cant edit anything because i can not hook the camera to my computer. This is a first time thing and need some help if possible.

u need to connect ur camera through its firewire port... ur computer must also support firewire... u don't need any software, the computer should recognize automatically...
    but be careful, sony's firewire are fragile... make sure the cam is "off" when u plug it or unplug it, or ur firewire will fail...
    i'm here if u need more info...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

I use our Sony Digital 8 camcorder and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with it or its' capabilities.

You will need a firewire card in your pc or a video card with an external dongle that includes a firewire input - nothing else available today will work for transport of DV quality video from your camcorder to your pc's hard drive.

Most all video editing software programs will control capture of your video to your PC - even the special edition versions that come bundled free with dvd burners - no sweat.

I personally haven't found our sony dv camcorder's output fragile - you will need a the compatible calbe with dv on one end and firewire on the other - one of these came with your camcorder.

Be sure the camcorder is turned on and the cable connected on both ends and open your software and select capture menu - the software should recognize dv content and default to avi type file format for capture but you can also go into capture setting menu and select avi.

One hour of dv content will consume 9 to 10 gig of hardware space so be sure you have plenty of HDD space available.

Nothing else to it - push play and then click on Capture and your pc should do the job and when done you will have a avi BIG file of your video/audio.

Then open it in your software's editing workspace timeline and you are in business.
    goodluck - it's so easy once you get a bit used to it.

i dont believe my computer is fire wire cabable

You might have to add a Firewire PCI card to your computer. miniDV just won't transfer okay to your PC's hard drive without a Firewire connection - miniDV just has too much data for any less capable link to do the job.

Last time I built a desktop and added a Firewire card the cost was about $60 US dollars or about 30 UK pounds. Cards usually have a combination of Firewire and USB input ports.

Easy to do and well worth the expense and time and trouble.
    goodluck

just a quick reply... my firewire card cost 15$... and works just fine...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

I downloaded the video editor Vagas movie studio 9 platinum edition. I can import the video files and edit them but NOT the auto files. Any successions?

My first video cams, still have them, were a TRV270 and a TRV285, both Digital8, I bought a firewire card from PC World for 10, it came with the cable which can be 30 on its own (go figure), and I did have to fiddle about a bit with settings on the camera to get the sound and video off it, but it has been faultless ever since, tough as old boots to be honest. I was plugging and unpluging for about a year before I found about about the potential for frying the system, nothing went wrong though thankfully.

I'll tell you one thing that threw me for a while. Sony are a bit anal about their 'i-Link' setup, which is their name for firewire (I think they actually proposed the system in the first place tbh), and the instructions were a bit of a diversion until I found out that you don't need a specific 'i-Link' cable, you don't need a Sony Vaio computer for it to work, and you do need to keep an open mind when sussing the rig out. There can be a simple tick to be put in a box on the computer, or a menu item on the playback settings of the camera sometimes to get it all to work (the camera must be set to 'Play' mode, just turning it on puts it in 'Record' mode and it won't work that way).

Btw you may be able to get video and sound off the camera using USB. This will work if it has the facility, but the loss of quality is large, making it pointless having a digital camera, so persevere with DV through firewire if it's not the only option.

Default auto trouble

I have a auto problem. I'm using the vagas movie studio 9 platinum video editor. The video is on 8cm 3.5 inch dvd-rw 1.4gb disc. on the vr format. I can upload the video files and can edit them. The auto files will NOT upload. Is there anyone out there who had this problem and how to fix it with this editor.