Thread: Need some direction

Question Need some direction

Hi Guys, I need some advice. I recently took a trip and have about 4 hrs of footage. I am new to video editing but have alot of time invested in audio editing and production. I am looking for a program that is some what user friendly for a nubie. I am looking to cut scenes, slow mo, text on screen and audio scoring. Any suggestion as to what program I can downlaod that will allow me to do this and renderdown with out the word demo on the screen or some other BS. If there is a free trial or something that would be great because wont use it agian for a some time (unless I get hooked). I dont want to spend alot of money for one video. I am proficient in sony acid/sound forge ect. any help would be great. Thanks

Joey G

You can download all of the video editing software listed here on the forum from their respective websites, I was going to suggest Windows Movie Maker (free and on your computer if you are using a Windows PC) but when I read you were creative with audio, I would say go for Adobe Premiere Elements 4, it will allow you to work with both video and audio or try Sony Vegas.

If you are feeling more adventurous and want to jump in at the deep end, then download Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, but be warned it can be scary first time around. These are all 30 day trial applications I am listing (should be long enough to edit your video) but if you find one you like and it runs with no problems on your computer then you may decide to purchase the full version.

Adobe also do other software that works with audio.

i suggest premiere pro... though it's scary at first sight (like nikosony said) but u'll get used to it... it's not THAT complicated...
    good luck...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Thanks guys, I downloaded the trial version and will start tonight on it. I also have looked into sony Vegas. A freind of mine offered to give me a copy. whats your thoughts on this program? I have not used it yet. I would like to commit to one program and learn it well.

i've heard good things about it... but i still prefer premiere pro (plus, i can help you get started with it if u want)...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Cool, I will hit ya up if I got any questions. Like the Floyd in your sig BTW. Maybe I will post my vid after its done and you guys can give me some pointers.

Question directions again

Hi,

There are a lot of softwares that can do the job, namely cutting family videos (e.g. Media 100, Lightworks, Sony Vegas, Avid, Adobe Premiere, Ulead VideoStudio...). But which one is the best considering of course the cost of the software: I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars or euros for features that I never use.
    Thank you for your help in advance:

piadex2

ps: when you suggest a product please name it precisely because if we you see sony vegas there are four separate products with this name

ps2: I want to use the software in at least the next five years