Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Brett Haircut funny ?

Blog Entries

Default Is Brett Haircut funny ?

Parental advisory - this film contains mostly bad language and vulgar adult humour.

I have been chewing on this edit for 10 months. Still work in progress and not tool ate for changes.

Context ( which will be added to final film) - covers a local fesival in docucomedy style. This year they hired security big time and put up a fence and stopped people taking booze in.

The original plan was to have brett outside vox popping people and me inside doing vps, but ironically the person I was filming with got beaten up and said secirity did bugger all.
    We were left with one side of an idea.
    Lucky Andy playing Brett got pissed and lost the plot.... ( not sure how much was acting and how much was beer at he end - lol )

The Bill Gravitas bits are rushes clearly and when done will be screened with a studio news room vibe.

Last time we used this fromat it was judged prmising but a flop, fyi - http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/atvcut.wmv

This funny yet ? ? ? Only rendered in draft as is a 12 hour job in best.. 50 tracks and counting...

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/Temp/edit4mod.wmv
    Last edited by Mark W; 08-12-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh yea - the subliminals for the deaf gag will go as it is a bit poor i think.

Blog Entries

BUMP - cos i have just spent 2 hours viewing and feeding back other peoples vids and now I want some ! lol.

Blog Entries

As you're obviously gagging for comments, Mark, I'll get the ball rolling, though I'm finding it difficult to work out what I think of it.

Let's start with a positive - I love the new titles, though I also loved the Terry Gilliamesque titles in the previous Brett Haircut.

Brett walking and talking - hmm - I assume the obvious reading from the script is Brett's character, but I find it distracting (especially when he fluffs his lines) and not funny. It doesn't add anything.

Contrary to your comment, I thought subliminals for the deaf worked well as a gag....but the problem is it's a distraction. Maybe make it briefer, put it over a less important part of the script (if possible) and cut out the rude pictures (I for one cannot help but be distracted whenever I see sex, naked flesh or even a potentially nice bottom 1/4 mile further on up the road)

But I think the main problem is you're mixing real life serious footage, political comment and comedy and this is very difficult. I can't think of anyone who has ever done this successfully. The closest I can come to it is in controlled studio environments where the "serious" footage is on clips (eg Have I Got News... Mock the Week etc). To be honest I can't think right now of anyone who's done it unsuccessfully. Maybe it's impossible but I really hope you manage it - you've put enough effort into it and you seem tenacious enough to keep working at it.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks tim - I want to cut the andy walking bit to half that lenth but the talent is stroppy about it.

Sublinimals - several said keep so now truly sublinimal - 2 frames per pic.

Point taken about the format - it's a new genre we are inventing - exploitative docucomedy and really it is a sort of private joke jibe at the likes of mark thomas and the funny / serious documentarians out trhere.

Documentary is what I love but personally I hate it when documentary and comedy are mixed. It's a bit of a piss take so I am actually quite pleased at your observations.

Ta for feedback as I was about to throw a huge girly strop.

M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

Ta for feedback as I was about to throw a huge girly strop.
    Now that's gotta be worth filming.
    Tim

Blog Entries

LOL. Also the original ident will be in there at start - then shoet intro from anchor , then as you see.

Blog Entries

Is Brett Haircut funny?

Well, yes.... and no.

I smirked a few times rather guffawed out loud. Paradoxically your talent, whilst being your biggest asset is also your biggest liability. He needs to learn his lines Mark. Simple as that. It's way too off-putting and although I think he's a great performer, clearly with the confidence required to carry the part off, it all falls down for me when he glances down to his lines. It's odd, I like to watch him when he's shooting blind, (rolling around denying he was pissed was funny) but he irritates me when he's reading..

Sorry mate.

Positives - Genius moment for me was the fella lighting up. Priceless. Another was the last line about no rights reserved. I will steal that idea for sure when I can find a use for it. The whole concept is a good one, but if it was done a little slicker (like Chris Morris's 'The Day Today') I think it would have far more impact. Copy the beeb's news 24 titles and fonts and I think it would work better. Consult your spellchecker. Some of the titles are wrong. (or was that intentional?)

Feel free to have a big girly strop now. But film it and post that too please.

You can do better mate.

I'm going to hide myself away now for a week until you calm down.

EDIT - Subliminals for the deaf - good idea. Keep it but lose the horrible frame.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 08-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.

I liked it in a sort of wry smile way.

I did enjoy the descent into drunken abuse.

Your bits Mark the cuts back to the studio... Green screen 'em and make it look like you're in a studio. Put an MP3 player earbud in one ear as your talkback so you can put your finger to it as you listen to the news director. ...er... dress like a studio anchor (It's acting right?)

The subliminals were quite funny.

How about a CNN style newsbar across the bottom with other funny bits?

On the whole though, I like it.

Blog Entries

A wry sime is a start and it is very much work in progress and your suggestions are already part of that. Have shot the studio bit of me but it's not right yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast