HELP!
    I have been trying to get into post production. I took a few classes in
    college for it but I need a more in depth education I found this school
    in Burbank called Video Symphony
    ( link removed by mod) If you have know anything about
    this tell me what you think or if you know of any other schools also
    tell me.
    Thank you for your time and input
    Last edited by Mark W; 08-11-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Film schools are the latest schill game imho.
    I think your best bet is 'proper' courses at universities - or learn by doing and self education.

You can learn a lot about movie making as Mark says by trial and error. There are lots of sites online to give you pointers to get started; get a cheap mini dv camcorder and download a 30 day trial of any of the video editors listed here on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    or learn by doing and self education.

I am entering my 3rd year of College for Broadcast television and communications, and I couldnt agree more. If I could go back in the past I would have used all the money ive spent on schooling/housing and just bought some decent gear.

I have bought training dvds off the internet for after effects, and vegas. And Ive learned more in an hour from these videos that two weeks worth of classes. In my avid and final classes at school, they basically just teach us how to navigate through the software. I could have just figured it out on my own after several hours infront of a computer.

At the college im at, its really hard to get ahold of video equiptment and editing suites. You would get more hands on experience with your own equiptment like Niko said.

I am not saying going to college has been a waste of time. I have learned alot. I am learning some theory that probly wouldnt make as much sense unless explained by an actual human being. You should just try googling around for some training videos. An $80 video is alot cheaper than school. However the certificate/diploma/whatever you would end up with, will help you land a job.

What postproduction software have you used so far?

Blog Entries

^^^ interesting.

I was studying for an MA in documentary last year - they taught us zilch about the technical stuff and took the attitude that we should learn by doing - lecturers were great for film feedback.

We studied much more on the history, politicol economy and the 'art' of film making in it's broader social context - this was much more usefui than a lecturer droning on about technical stuff that can be easily culled from text books.

I got a letter from my old college a few days ago wanting to know if I would be interested in going back and doing an MA aswell. I thought about it for all of 5 minutes and decided to give it a miss, with bills coming in and everything more expensive now and having to listen to lecturers crying into your ear from September to June next year, there's not a lot of incentive. I also learned a lot about dead people from the time of the Industrial Revolution up to Andy Warhol, I would have preferred to have done something along the lines of setting up a business instead (much more useful). But apparently you have to learn stuff about those people.