Thread: No sound on video due to external mike problem??

Default No sound on video due to external mike problem??

I am hoping someone may be able to help. Many years ago we videod my Sisters wedding. The betteries were in the wrong way on the external mike and therefore no sound was recorded. We know there is very faint sound that must have been picked up somehow by the onboard mike, this was heard on an old piece of editing equipment we had. The video was filmed using video 8 I was just wondering with todays modern equipment if we may be able to somehow enhance and capture the sound? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Nicki

first you should capture your audio (or video/audio) to your pc: u could do that using a pci card (tv tuner for example) supporting rca connectors, or rca/usb converter (not sure of its reliability) or if ur cam supports firewire u can capture through it directly.
    once u get ur audio on the computer, it's a software issue, i recommend using sony sound forge 8 or 9. it's easy to use, just browse through the effects and processes u have n try what works best with ur needs.
    good luck.
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    .. there is very faint sound that must have been picked up somehow by the onboard mike, this was heard on an old piece of editing equipment we had....
    In all honesty, it's almost certainly a lost cause. If the audio is that faint, as soon as you try to boost it any way, you'll be boosting b/g noise at the same time and that will ruin any gain you may achieve.

I really wouldn't bother wasting your time with it. As good as today's sofware is, it can't perform miracles....

I agree with Andy, if the sound you recorded is so low then when you try and boost it, it will lift every other sound and you are really back at square one. You now have ten times the amount of noise that you didn't have before. Now you have to get rid of all of that noise and try and retain the important part, which will probably go as you take out the unwanted sounds.

Just my opinion - if you have sound you can hear then trying and achieving a bad result is ALWAYS better than not trying at all and having NOTHING.

Basic issue is how important is restoring the sound of this once-in-a-lifetime event and are you willing to invest some cash to give it a go??

I would shop around for a recording studio and give pros with the right equipment and software end-to-end a chance to capture and evaluate the very limited audio that you have.

I have seen experienced sound guys using best equipment (my opinion is that would be a Mac and ProTools once sound is captured to hard drive) do simply amazing things with noisy, bad or almost non-existant audio. Most will probably give a listen without charge and then tell you what they think is possible.

Also could be a professional player (at least industrial quality for Hi8 will have wider gap heads and might do a better job of playing the sound from the audio track on your Hi8 tape. Example is I was unable to get some very old and deteriorated video tapes to play period on even the finest consumer tape players but I was able to play and capture their precious scenes when the tapes were played in very high end professional players with their totally different heads and gaps and tape path support.

BE SURE to give the engineer only the original tape used to capture the ceremony - a copy just won't do.

If it was MY wedding and the only video available I would give it a go and not just assume nothing can be done. The only way to guarantee failure is to not try.
    goodluck

Nickib, how low is the sound on your tape?