Thread: Help filming with SD & HD Together

Default Help filming with SD & HD Together

I currently own a Canon XM2 camcorder which I love but I'm looking to buy a second camera and use them both when filming events.

I was going to buy another XM2 but I was concerned about not moving forward towards HD. I'm very interested in the Canon XH-A1 as that seems to have some great reviews and is in my price range.

My question is this. Would it be advisable NOT to use both SD and HD cameras together?

I edit using Sony Vegas 6.0 but I understand I would have to convert the HD to SD. Can I not have the different formats together on the same timeline?
    How does HD footage compare with SD after being converted to SD?

Hope someone can help.I'm lookingto make my purchase within the next week.

Blog Entries

Yes vegas can do both on timeline.
    As for mixing sd / hdv ( note - hdv not hd, hd is something else entirely) and or cameras, best to use the same cams if you can always but it should be cool but you will prob need to do some correction to get the same look.

Why bother with hdv if you are going to convert to DV ? ? ?

Most of the world still watches everything in SD and no one minds.

That's great advice. Thanks Mark.

I should be able to match the two up ok I think. At least to a satisfied standard. Yeah, I completely agree about having two cameras the same but hopefully in time once I've bought the Canon XH-A1 HDV in a year or two I can replace the XM2 with another XH-A1. Just trying to move forward.

What do you mean - Convert to DV??

Most of my video work is Corporate Videos where I just use the one camera. Which would be the new XH-A1.

I just use 2 cameras for some events. Are you saying it might be a better option for me to just buy another XM2? - The thing is. I have just over 2000 and I want/need to upgrade.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Very hard for me to give objective HDV advice as I am of the opinion that the whole format is a botch pushed for marketing reasons.

I shoot on a sd dv pro jvc shoulder cam I got for the bragian price of 1600 quid and I can honestly say it outperforms every hdv cam i have tried, except my mates ex1 and then it's not totally striking.

Well, I certainly appreciate your opinion Mark. Perhaps I will go for another XM2 - the price difference is certainly attractive. I must admit, If I had another 1000 I was going to go for the XL2 without a doubt.

Some of the HDV cameras I have seen I felt the picture was sharper and vaibrant but it seems that overall you disagree.

Certainly food for thought. Your answer surprised me.

Thanks again
    John.

Blog Entries

Try well befor you buy and best see wha tyou think - it's your cash after all...

Blog Entries

I've got to disagree with Mark.

When it first started HDV was a halfway house on the way to HD but this hasn't been the case in the prosumer categories for a while now. For broadcast, HD and HDV will soon be the "norm" and the Canon XH-A1 will blow any equivelant minidv cam (such as a PD170) out of the water!
    Having just compared HDV footage shot on my (brand new) XH-A1 and stuff shot on a DVCPro50 3 x 2/3 chip broadcast camera...I was surprised at the comparisons. Firstly, in a straight forward head-to-head the HDV wins hands-down on a Sony Bravia HD screen. On standard screens there's not a lot to chose when comparing the Canon's HDV output to an SD monitor and the broadcast SD (DVCPro 25) outputted to an SD monitor.
    Comparing SD footage shot on the Canon with SD footage from the broadcast Panasonic, the Panasonic is much better.
    So, if you're only ever going to shoot in SD, don't bother with HDV but footage captured as HDV, edited as HDV and then down-converted as an SD DVD will look "better" than an SD chain.

However, in a couple of years everyone will have HD or partial HD televisions and a lot of people wil have Blu-ray dacks. HDV simply looks better than SD on these systems. Yes, there are occasional artifacts and HDV doesn't like lots of fast movements but since Sky, the Beeb, et al broadcast in a compressed format almost identical to HDV anyway...

Sorry Mark, you've got to move with the times, consumer HDV was mediocre but it's no longer the case that you can dismiss all HDV as crap!
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-13-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Ha - splitter. My prejudicial byline still stands as I would put your cam in the prosumer area where I think the format works.

HDV works great on a decent cam for sure, but on a ceapo it's benefits are weak and it's sticker power strong.

I shall embrace the future when i can broadcast it and when I can afford a nice shoulder cam that shoots hdv at 100 mbit. 15 grand for such gear at the mo.

My obession with 'cheap' pro sd gear ( my 7000 jvc was 1600 ) is not only about quality but about impression, ease of use, and ';tool for the job' - and I just love pro gear of any sort.

I feel a mega test coming on.... Amongst me and my friends we have a bunch of cams at many pricepoints / formats - a mega comparison might be fun.

Darn - lost the pic that started this. It was a comparison of old sd dv and cheap hdv and there wasnt much in it. But for expensive cams clearly the format can shine.
    Last edited by Mark W; 08-13-2008 at 05:24 PM.