Thread: A little help, plz vhs to dvd

Exclamation A little help, plz vhs to dvd

I have a newer Dell laptop that i recently upgraded the chip from 1GB to 2GB and now running at 1.66 GHZ. What can I do to transfer from VHS - DVD. I have the USB 2.O TO RCA cable, just need the software that I can run on my sys. Thank you.

little advice: never use usb to work with videos... it's not stable and not trustworthy... get a firewire...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Blog Entries

To caveat that advice, it's not recommend to use anything other than firewire to transfer miniDV. However, and RCA to USB type cable is perfectly fine for transfer of analogue video. You should be able to use something like iuVCR to transfer the video.

Marc is correct - low res analog video transfers to a pc hard drive just great with any USB2 external dongle that accepts composite or S-Video output from your VHS player.

Most any video software will work to control the capture process - even the special editions that so often are "free" and bundled with a dvd burner.

IMO - you can capture VHS as mpeg2 720X480 (US-NTSC) or 720X576 (UK-PAL) and you will have about as good a quality of VHS capture that you can get. We shot hundreds of hours of family home movies in VHS and then Beta and then Hi8 and all of it looks about as good on standard def dvds as it did when original tapes played.

Capture it and then open the files in video software workspace timeline and discover all the fun and frustration of editing and rendering and burning your old video tapes - nothing to it once you get a little practice.
    goodluck
    Last edited by imjay; 08-13-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Smile

I appericate the advise. Already run into some frustration just finding the cable. Only available online here in the U.S. I'll definatlly play with it till i get it right. Thank you again.