Thread: Final cut pro 5, HDV and 25p

Default Final cut pro 5, HDV and 25p

Please tell me have not just done the wrong thing. I filmed my first wedding yesterday on my new Sony HVR-V1 and captured all 6 hours into FCP as HDV 25p native resolution. So far so good... However, A friend without going to further details things I may have done this wrong only going as far as saying that exporting to SD DVD from HDV in FCP will give me poor results. I tried to question him further but I was on his way out and couldn't talk any longer. I am very pleased with the quality and ease of HDV so far but i have obviously not tried to edit much or to compress into SD. Should I simply continue to edit as I would normaly do or start again outputting SD from the cam or simply importing into a SD workflow. If said friend is correct where can I go from here. I haven't got anything like pro-coder so simply use compressor and dvd studio pro. I really do not want to have wasted a whole day.

You friend is wrong.
    SD footage from an HD source is better than SD footage from an SD source.
    Carry on as you have been.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Yes - your friend is taling crap.

Conversion of hdv to sd dv should not cause any probs. Often this looks better ( tiny bit) by being converted rather than shot on the camera in dv.
    Last edited by Mark W; 08-11-2008 at 06:30 PM.

4. Default

That is probably a bit harsh. I think your friend is getting his information from some FCP forums. As I too have been told the same thing as we shoot on a Z7 a lot at 25p. I think this information comes from issues over re-sampling. (Rather than the obvious HDV is higher than SD thing) We have never had any problems though.

wedding videographer London shooting modern wedding video