Thread: Elements 3 & DVD Burning Issue

Default Elements 3 & DVD Burning Issue

I have loaded my videos and edited one but every time that I try to burn it to a Philips DVD-R (4.7Gb) I receive an alert that Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 has encountered a serious problem and has to close down. I have tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling but still get the same message. I have an Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A and a Packard Bell Intel Core 2 Duo with 2Gb of RAM and almost 200Gb of free HD space.
    I would very much appreciate ideas on why Elements cannot burn a DVD. I have tried to burn the video to file with the idea of using other software to burn the movie from there to DVD but the same serious error message occurs when writing to file.
    Maybe Elementts is simply junk and not worth the money that I paid for it? If so, is there any recommendation on software that I could use that is more reliable?
    Thanks
    Etybagem

Further to my post, I think that the problem lies with my computer seeing my DVD-RW/CD drive as a CD drive and not as a DVD drive, and so it will only write a maximum of 700Mb to a DVD and not 4.7Gb, giving an error message if the video requires more space than 700Mb. I found out this by only writing a short video without any problem.
    Does anyone know how to force my computer to recognise that the drive is truly a DVD drive. The DVD driver is, as far as I can gather, up-to-date.
    In hope
    Etybagem