Thread: T.V. Monitor

Default T.V. Monitor

I found the following excerpt from a post by Alan Mills while I was researching info on using a T. V. monitor to review my video edits "Another option that might be worth considering ( and cheaper too I imagine) is not to run two monitors but to get a graphics card with a TV-Out for video overlay.

That way, you can have your monitor connected up and also your TV (or TV monitor). The video overlay (i.e. preview in Premiere) will be sent to the TV and you will get an exact reproduction of your result. i.e. You'll see exactly what your efforts will look like on a TV rather than on a monitor. very handy. Especially for titles because if your scroll rate is not quite right or you start on the wrong scan line the text titles (movie credits) appear to wobble as they scroll." Posted 2/2004. This is exactly what I am endeavoring to do. Since the post is 4+years old can anyone give me some further info given the fact that new stuff has since emmerged? Thanks again for your time and patience.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it but, what further info are you looking for?

Were I you, I'd shop around & see what video cards were available in my price range that are compatible with my existing hardware. There's been a big hairy debate for years over which is better: ATI or nVidia. 'Better' being a relative term of course. If you're running a plain vanilla VGA graphics adapter, darn near anything would be better.<g>

I'm still using the same model card I bought 4 years ago. Then - $279 USD. Now - $49 USD.

I could continue to just prattle on, or you could reply with some more clearly defined questions...?
    ~Applied Metaphysician~

Yes you are correct I should have more concise with my inquiry. Simply put I want to review my video on a TV monitor before I burn to disk, in order to make any further corrections. Do I need to purchase a TV monitor, or can I use any other device like a spare T.V. with appropriate PC hardware. Thank you for your input in advance.

well i guess any tv monitor would do... cause usually the video-out jack in the video card in ur pc is an s-video... most tvs have an s-video input... if not, u could get a converter from s-video to av...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

quite right. Any TV will do. At time of writing that post I was using the smallest cheapest portable TV I could find - not even widescreen!

All you need is a graphics card with the right video-out connection (I was using the component out on the break-out box on my Matrox RT.X100) and then when connected jump into your video card settings and let the PC know you have connected it and what to do with it.

I'm not doing this anymore but what I had going is that the TV showed a clipped copy of my desktop abnd then when a video overlay would appear it magically took over the entire TV screen.

Thanks for the info, I looked on the back of my PC and noted the following: comp.video(yellow) and S video, both outputs. Will this work?? Many thanks for your time and advice.

Yes it will. Try using the s-video, it's quite better.
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    quite right. Any TV will do.

Yes and no. You will get a really good idea of what it will look like, but you will be missing true colours that the expensive Professional video monitors give. Normal tvs/monitors cannot be properly calibrated. Just make sure you test your projects on a bunch of other telelvisions afterwards to make sure your colour and luminance is the way you want.

As a side note it's always worth keeping in mind what the intended viewer is going to be watching your film on. If your editing monitors are nothing but the best then you'll be seeing something the potential intended audience may not, so it could be a waste of time, and money, especially if it's going to be viewed on-line on regular computer monitors. The sound industry does the same thing, every recording studio will have a pair of simple tiny speakers so that the mixes can be heard as they would be on most people's equipment.

In an ideal world editing on the very best is the soundest foundation, but it might not be actually necessary. Use a grey card with a colour card to set up your monitor/s (the monitor might not have a calibration feature, but even the simplest graphics cards do), and from then on it's up to trusting the viewer has calibrated theirs to some degree, but let's face it, most don't even know they can.

Finallly, as time has gone by, a dual monitor setup is pretty cheap now, most half decent graphics cards have dual monitor outputs, one analogue and one digital, this basic office comp I'm using now has a 25 card which works really well, in fact I can't tell the difference between the two formats tbh. On my editing comp I have a do-wacka-do card with full bells and whisltles, in might be faster and slicker, having a gb of memory on board alone, but the results are no different to this one tbh.