If your are experience any of the below problems. Please read my basic guide on dodging these to get a stable system.

- Premiere Pro 2 Crashes (Serious error message)
- Premiere Pro freeze during render or during time-line update
- Slow Scrubbing of time-line
- Poor quality of source monitor
- No display out to monitor on the Matrox RTx cards

1: Premiere Pro 2 Crashes (Serious error message)

There are a few reasons which can cause premiere pro to crash and show a messages stating a serious error has occurred. Follow the below to reduce the crashes. You will never be able to eliminate them but it will make your life easier.

+ Make sure you have the latest patches and updates for Adobe premiere pro 2 and the latest Xtools if you are using Matrox hardware. These can be downloaded from the Matrox website and have many fixes.
+ Make sure you save as often as possible and also set auto-save to a min of 20 minutes.
+ If you see the dreaded serious error messages under no circumstance click OK. If your project has become corrupted by clicking OK adobe will save the corrupted project. Instead terminate the adobe process from the task manager and restart the program. As long as you have been saving you will only have a small amount of data loss instead of the whole project.
+ If your project does get corrupted you can either load one of the auto-saves that you can find in your project folder or create a new project and import the corrupted one into the new project. This normally works 99% of the time. Like I said have auto-save enabled, you will thank yourselves for enabling it.

2: Premiere Pro freeze during render or during time-line update

Not a crash but a freeze. While rendering or while the time-line is updating the whole PC freezes which then requires a hard re-boot.

+ Again make sure the latest patches are installed for premiere pro 2.
+ Make sure there are no virus scanners running especially that scan on the fly. Can you imagine while your system is trying to render a project creating these render files which are growing to many GBs big your virus scanner is trying to scan them!! This will freeze your system.
+ Check your disks. Make sure that you defrag them and also scan the surface. If you have a bad sector on the disk premiere pro will freeze. You can normally tell there is an issue when saving takes a long time and also if after a reboot the PC attempts to do a disk check every-time.
+ Set all your scratch disks to point to a local disk (IDE,SATA) which has a large transfer rate and also on a seperate partition if not seperate disk from your project if possible. Try not use USB or fire-wire. You will see a performance improvement immediately by doing this.
+ Check your Audio drivers are up-to-date. Premier Pro is very unstable with many sound cards such as the CL Audiology range. Change the audio source. Under Preferences > Audio Hardware - change this to the standard PC one. Try and recreate the crash. It may still freeze but you will find that he PC does not freeze and you can terminate Premiere pro 2 from task manager.

3: Slow Scrubbing of time-line

Slow scrubbing can be caused by a lack of memory. Try the below and see if it helps.

+ Check your memory. 2GB is a must.
+ Although the graphics card is not important is some features of premiere pro 2, you will find if you are using multiple monitors or have the project windows broken into separate sections the application will use more graphics memory. Upgrade this. The bigger the better I say.
+ Make sure no other applications are running in the background. If you want to be a serious editor I would suggest that you blitz the box and have only Premiere installed on it.
+ Make sure the time-line is rendered. If your are using the Matrox card and Matrox effects, force the render on the effects for better results.
+ Also close unnecessary windows such as the program monitor if your are using an external TV output or reduce the quality of the program monitor.
+ Again- Set all your scratch disks to point to a local disk (IDE,SATA) which has a large transfer rate and also on a seperate partition if not disk from your project if possible. Try not use USB or fire-wire. You will see a performance improvement immediately by doing this.

4: Poor quality of source monitor

If the Program monitor or Source monitor are playing in poor quality no matter what size they are, but as a still frame the quality seems fine please check the following:

+ Check your graphics properties. If your card does not support OpenGL premiere may have issues. Trust me upgrade the graphics card and you will see a massive difference.
+ Check that the quality setting is set to automatic or high with the right mouse button on program monitor.

5: No display out to monitor on the Matrox RTx cards

+ It does not have to be said.. Check your cables...
+ If you have another program such as after effects or photoshop, see if the output works with these apps. If they do and you also see a green bar in the monitor window with adobe, its because you have the settings incorrect. (You may also see the green bar when capturing source footage).
+ Check that the project settings are not set to desktop mode. Try create a new project and make sure your are selecting the Matrox selected formats.
+ Under the premiere pro preferences make sure under device control and capture the settings in the capture window (Under the settings tab) is pointing to the correct devices.
+ Do the same for the Matrox card also if your are using this.

The above are some of the main problems I have had. I think I may be one of the rare few that has had most if not all the problems with Premiere Pro2 and Matrox hardware. I have found the best harmony by keeping my projects short and edited my more complicated projects which require more effects on After Effects. In fact you could use After Effects to do all you editing if you wanted, I find it much more stable. If you have expericened other problems or the solutions above do not help (Most of the solutions are brief and I assume most people know where all the settings are.) please let me know. As I may have come across the issue at some point in time and can provide a more in-depth description on how to fix.