Thread: Premiere 6.0 shows black screen w/ a X when viewing in Progam monitor

Default Premiere 6.0 shows black screen w/ a X when viewing in Progam monitor

Hi I'm new to Adobe Premiere 6.0. I imported my clips in .avi format, put them on the timeline but when I press play in the program monitor I only see an "X" and a black screen. I hear sound when it's playing but I see nothing. Please help!!!

you really should upgrade to premiere pro (cs3 if possible)... it will make ur life easier... trust me...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Thanks but I can't afford an upgrade at this point in time. I wish

fair enough... well what's the source of ur avi... maybe premiere doesn't have the proper codec to run such avi...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Do you have any effects on the clip that is in the timeline?? What colour is the X??

Hope I don't sound pompous, but vanillabean sounds to be quite the newbie sooo...

A CODEC [EnCODEr/DECoder] is a piece of software that is used to tell the computer system how to combine the video & audio streams into a single file; taking into account a sackful of technical specs such as how to interpret color, frame rate, audio bitrate, etc.

There are I dunno how many different CODECs floating around that mix & match different encoding methodologies. It sounds to me as though your system can interepret & play the audio stream, but doesn't have the proper codec to read the video stream.

Code:
    http://www.videohelp.com/
    has plenty of FREE tools to read video files & identify the particulars of what you need to play the file.
    ~Applied Metaphysician~

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    you really should upgrade to premiere pro (cs3 if possible)... it will make ur life easier... trust me...

Thanks Sami!! I just upgraded to cs3 and it has made editing so much easier!!