Thread: OK question number 1 million

Default OK question number 1 million

right, ive got my camera, found my tripod (manfrotto maxi) now im looking at my mic, probably a sennheiser, however one thing is bugging me that i cant seem to find

my camera has an accessory shoe, its a canon mvx330i, however, the only mic im thinking to buy is a canon because i dont know whether acessory shoes are universal and i cant seem to find out which one i have or how they vary on any of the specs, hopefully someone will be able to clear this up for me...

also i was planning on getting a shotgun mic attatched to my camera, however im now being informed to get a boom type mic and pole, however i dont know if this appeals to me, any of you have preferences or think that a shotgun mic isnt capable of being an all round mic....

any help is appreciated im getting there eventually

Blog Entries

You can get a shotgun mic and mount it on a boom when circumstances allow and on the camera when they don't.
    Tim

ok well thanks for the advice on that, so with regards to the shoe, is it a universal size shoe or does each camera have a different sized slot?

Blog Entries

Some cameras (I know not which) have proprietary shoes. The other thing to be aware of is the difference between a standard shoe and a "hot" shoe. Hot shoes supply power to accessory from the battery.
    Tim

Blog Entries

A good s gun mike can do on cam, on pole, and hand held.

but what im asking is, do all mics that have a camera attachment fit onto all accessory shoes, or are some different sizes. ive never bought anything for an accessory shoe before

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    but what im asking is, do all mics that have a camera attachment fit onto all accessory shoes, or are some different sizes. ive never bought anything for an accessory shoe before
    I thought I'd already answered that. Vague I know but it's a fact. Some (a few) are proprietary others are standard. If your camera has a standard shoe, you're laughing (probably). If not, you may be able to get an adapter.
    There are always exceptions. The Rode Videomic has a standard fit but doesn't actually fit on my JVC camera (which also has a standard fit) as the tape housing gets in the way of the larger than niormal securing ring (knurled knob) on the Mic.
    Tim

Ok, thanks Tim,

so really what were saying is that there is no chance of finding out if an accessory fits your camera unless you have it in your hand...........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    Ok, thanks Tim,

so really what were saying is that there is no chance of finding out if an accessory fits your camera unless you have it in your hand...........
    Well, you phone up/read reviews/specs etc etc of the camcorder and establish if it's a standard shoe - most reviews will point out if it's proprietary (if they mention the shoe at all). Mics will be standard UNLESS they say the're designed to fit such & such a camera.

But yes, I only discovered my standard shoe on my camera and my standard shoe on my mic didn't work together once I'd bought both!
    Tim