Thread: sound track isn't synched

Question sound track isn't synched

Hello there

I have recently got myself a sanyo HD camcorder and when playing back on the software (adobe premier elements) the sound is not synched and there are gaps in the video also.

I want to create videos for some new songs from my band involving playing the track over a video with us miming to the song and I am concerned that this won't be possible as the sound is out of synch.

I am thinking it might be my pc speed, although it's very new and have tried using lower def. settings when recording to no avail.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am new to these forums, so any advice on describing things would be great too.

cheers JO

Sometimes you can get that problem if you're importing 12-bit audio and the computer thinks its 16-bit audio.
    I don't know much about elements, but you need to figure out how to set it to capture the footage in the same bit rate as it was recorded. Chances are your camera recorded it in 16-bit, so confirm that from the cameras settings and re-capture the audio once you have told your software the appropriate bit rate. The other less common problem which I have seen occur with mini dv cameras and other tape cameras, is that the firewire interface gets damaged by high voltage shocks (a result of hot swapping) and puts the audio out of sync.

Is your Sanyo HD camcorder a Hard Disk camcorder or High Definition camcorder? Depending on which it is, there could be very different reasons as to why you are having problems.

Blog Entries

" is that the firewire interface gets damaged by high voltage shocks (a result of hot swapping) and puts the audio out of sync. "

I dont think that hot swapping will cause that or any problem - f wire is designed to be hot swapable - but fragile people will often turn off camras when swapping. I never do.

The only f wire port have broken was a result of tripping over the wire as I was capturing - I also broke a cup and a table - lols - I never hot swap tables or coffee now.

Hot swapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    " is that the firewire interface gets damaged by high voltage shocks (a result of hot swapping) and puts the audio out of sync. "

I dont think that hot swapping will cause that or any problem - f wire is designed to be hot swapable - but fragile people will often turn off camras when swapping. I never do.

The only f wire port have broken was a result of tripping over the wire as I was capturing - I also broke a cup and a table - lols - I never hot swap tables or coffee now.

Hot swapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Actually we have about a dozen cameras here all with fried firewire interfaces caused by hot swapping. They've all been affected in the same way by different computers and there are several models. If you read the manual of nearly any camera it will tell you to turn off the camera and/or computer before connecting/disconnecting. Apparently it's a design flaw of firewire. There is actually a guy in our local area how makes quite a cash cow repairing them.

Blog Entries

Firewire is indeed supposed to be hot swappable, but I too have been victim to a fried camcorder board due to hot swapping.

Blog Entries

Urban myth methinks and a case of ' well it must be cos my mate said '.
    Nothing on the net that i can see that makes me think differrently.

My JVC dv5001 manual also specifically states - several times - turn on camera - plug in firewire. I guess some cameras have fragile ports.

I am the risk taking type 'a' personality type me - I just dont care - I walk on cracks, love the number 13 and enjoy the sound of breaking glass. Lols.

However I will concede that tripping over a f wire calbe as you capture is bad for the camera, and nearby furniture.

This is in the same box as that windows thing ' stop all programs befor continuing with install ' - yea rgiht - like anyone does that - or do they ???

Blog Entries

In contrast to this, I have a firewire capture device (AVDC100) that specifically states in bold that the device should be powered down before connection. It suggests that otherwise a power surge could fry the circuitry. I've also been told by technicians that poor firewire cables can potentially cause the fault. Now this may indeed be an urban myth, but one perpetuated by technicians at manufacturing firms!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    This is in the same box as that windows thing ' stop all programs befor continuing with install ' - yea rgiht - like anyone does that - or do they ???
    Honestly Mark, nothing sinister there! Some dlls (or other shared files) that need repacing or updating may be used by a programme currently running. If they are in use, they will be locked and the rlevant files cannot be updated, re-registered or otherwise accessed.

Blog Entries

Firewire can be dangerous to your gear and you shouldn't hot-swap. It does make sense to turn off the camcorder before disconnecting. It's a bit like crossing the road with your eyes shut, most of the time nothing will happen but...

I have fried a firewire board in my laptop when I simply unplugged my firweire-connected mixer. It didn't cost a fortune to repair (about 50. including parts, if I remember) but there was all the aggro of wondering what it has also damaged and taking it to the shop, etc etc.

Just my sixpenn'oth.