Thread: Compressing to save space

Default Compressing to save space

I'm running out of space on my hard drive so I thought I would compress some AVI-format videos to MPEG-2. Is this sensible or will there be a huge dropoff in quality? I tried it with one and found the quality to be noticeably worse when viewing it in Windows Media Player. Maybe I have the settings wrong?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Can't you dump the files you don't need at the moment off to a CD- or DVD-ROM?
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

I have thought about that, but most of the files are over a gig in size, which makes them too big for a CD-ROM, and I don't have a DVD burner. I will probably get a DVD burner soon but wanted to see if there are other alternatives.

Putting your files through any form of lossy compression (which MPEG2 is) will result is a quality loss. No way round that I'm afraid. You could try winzipping them, which is a lossless compression, but I can't vouch for how much the AVI's will compress.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks for the info Lloyd. What I was hoping to hear was that there was a form of compression in which the filesize savings were huge but the difference wasn't noticeable - like what you get with WAV to MP3 compression for audio.

I suppose another alternative would be saving them back to tape using DV-in, but I have had a bad experience where the tape got munched.