Thread: Exporting clips but no audio in premiere

Default Exporting clips but no audio in premiere

I have read through the forum here and all audio questions are not the same as this one. The DV video I imported has audio, it plays in preview with audio fine. I want to take the raw footage and razor it into scenes (clips) then export the clips to video and save them so that I can import them into my bins and grab the pieces I want.

When I export the clip exports with no audio. In fact when I look at the project settings in the dialog box that comes up when I have to give the file I am saving a name it says audio disabled in the project settings - yet no matter how many different places I check there is no where that I have disabled this audio. Under audio settings the options to export video and or audio are dark (ie can't clik on them)

update: If I wanted to export the entire timeline then chose settings the audio is there (lit up) and is exported with the video but I don't want to export the entire project only the clip

help appreciated!
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

Blog Entries

Have you tried exporting regardless and is there definately no audio? In the playback settings, is this set to Audio hardware or DV hardware?

I'm told by my club's resident Premier expert that there are two other to ways to export which overcome this. The only one I've made work is this.

Set the 'work area' bar over the clip in question, then 'file' 'export time line'. I tried that it works

I'm using Premier 6

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Default thanks

Yes I have - and there truly is no audio unless I export the entire video. It is set in "DV hardware"

While playing around with it I realized it is probably easier to leave the original hour long footage intact and then open the bin in preview window and mark it with in and out points - then drag and drop into the project.

It is a different kind of editing than I was planning on doing I thought I could develop all my shots then try to fit them together but I guess the above is easier and quicker anyway

what do you do Marc?

Thanks Jillian I think that would probably work - perhaps the export clip function is only intended to do just that export the clip I select only - either the audio or the video not both

Blog Entries

Firstly, I always capture clips in scenes. If I have a long scene, I trim in the preview window, then drop in the timeline and edit properly.

Default right

You said it better but that was what I was trying to say above - thanks Marc - I will do it that way.

Incidentally, I am having exactly the same problem. I've tried all the suggestions posted on this thread, and no matter what I do, audio is "disabled" in my export dialog box. And indeed the exported avi file has no audio.

I'm running Premiere 6.0 on Win 2000, and I'm using a Canopus DVStorm video capture card.

As far as my project Settings/Audio, I'm at 48000 Mhz, 16Bit Stereo, uncompressed, 1 second interleave. My Advanced Settings button is disabled.

If there is anyone else who has further suggestions, it would be very appreciated.

correction and update

I am happy now to use past tense: I was experiencing almost exactly the same problem.

Here are the relevant details:

I am running Premiere 6.0 on Windows 200 using a Canopus DVStorm video capture card.

In "project settings"/"audio settings" I have: 48000 Mhz; 16Bit Stereo; uncompressed; 1 second interleave. The "advanced settings" button in this dialog is disabled.

In "project settings"/"general" the "editing mode" is "Canopus RealTime DV"

In "project settings"/"video" the compressor is "Canopus DV".

In "project settings"/"capture" the "capture format" is Canopus DV Record. I am set to capture both video and audio.

Using these settings, when I capture video and I put the clip into the Premiere timeline window I can play the video fine, and see an audio track, but I can't hear it. When I open the avi file in windows media player, it I can play the video and hear it fine.

When I change the "editing mode" in "project settings"/"general", I get the following results:

Using the "DV Playback" mode: I can hear muted audio, but the video image is highly distorted.

Using "Video for Windows" mode: I hear good audio, but there is similar video distortion as above.

Using "Quicktime" mode: I hear good audio, and I see good video.

However, even in "Quicktime" mode I cannot "export clip" with audio. When I try it, audio remains disabled.

The only way I have found to export with audio is to "export timeline" instead of "export clip", as someone suggested earlier. However in "Quicktime" mode, Premiere exports a quicktime movie. In order to export an avi file, I need to switch back to "Canopus RealTime DV".

This is messy. Do you have any ideas how to clean this up? Do I have something misconfigured?

Thanks very much in advance.

I hate to admit it but from the above recommendation I simply exported the whole movie using export timeline as you did - then the next project I started, it never came back as a problem - the offending setting or glitch was never truly explained - at least the solution here will solve it for you anyway

Default Solution

I find that the only time I have this trouble was when I was choosing:

FILE / EXPORT CLIP /

But when instead I choose:

FILE / EXPORT TIMELINE /

It has all audio options as you would want. I think we can close this saying that it is supposed to be this way and there must be a valid reason for it. It wouldn't make sense to have two ways of doing the same thing, so it must be intended this way - the export clip function only grabs the video clip

hope this helps