Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Advertising

Smile Best Advertising

Hi guys. Myself and my colleague have had a wedding business setup for a couple of months now, and generated a certain amount of interest and a few bookings from our website.

However we do need a lot more - we have a few strategies, but I was just wondering what you've found to the best form of advertising for our industry to be? Obviously taking into consideration cost as well.

Thanks for your help

Blog Entries

Reputation. Do a slick job and one wedding can lead to several referals. You'll be amazed at how many brides ask their mates who filmed, photographed, caterec (you get the idea) their wedding.

Web presence. I assume you have a website? Do you post on forums? Brides will spend their lives on the internet looking for help and advice. Be there too and lend a helping hand.

Local advertising and commuinty. Get in parish news letters. Get onside with the parish and try few small ads in free local papers.

Get accredited: Get accredited by the IOV / AVP and join a network.

If I had received a few bookings in only 2 months of starting up business I would have been very happy!

It will take time, patience, a lot of hard work, advertising, time, patience, .......
    and thats if your good! otherwise don't give up your day time job.....

Ohh, and it is an extremely competitive market. As Mark said, Join The IOV/APV, both even, and get acredited.

I personally think the best advertising is recommendation.

Cheers
    GDR

The early stages of a business are the foundations, so develop your own style and don't release your work until it's as polished to perfection as you can make it. This is what will establish a great reputation and don't clone everyone else's ideas into a mish mash that you think will do for now.
    Network with only the best in the business as their word will currently be 'Gospel'.

A great website is fine, but there are zillions of em now and your reputation will be localised to 30 miles or so. The best advice I was given is to "make people like and remember you" - If they like you, they'll buy into you and from you, no matter how expensive your products. If they don't like you . . . they won't buy, no matter how cheap.
    We all apply this same criteria whatever we buy. We may not recognise the fact, but it's true. Think about your last major purchase, as brides are doing now and you'll probably acknowledge why you made the decision to buy from who you did.
    Best of luck!

Blog Entries

Out of interest, zero, when was the last time you placed an ad? Is your business primarily referals, or those attracted by ads?

Also set up a stand at any wedding fares that are coming up in the next few months in your local area. Attend ones that are held on a yearly basis (ones that are established) as they have a better chance of attracting a larger number of brides.

Hi Marc - 75% referrals. Either from former clients or other service providers. We still have ads on wedding websites and a very small lineage ad in 2 areas of YP. Though the results from these are limited.

It's all been word of mouth for me so far...already shot 3 weddings in a space of 2 months.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

As I imagined referrals and word of mouth play a pretty big part. One strategy we thought of was to try and strike deals with various wedding-based companies (photography, cakes, dresses, etc) whereby if they refer anyone to us who books they get 10% cash and the couple get a 10% discount... or something similar anyway. I guess referrals from clients take a little longer to materialise.

Our website's - all advice and criticism welcome
    Last edited by rghjones; 09-04-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Just my opinion Russell, but there's waaaay too many options listed for wedding coverage on your website. It looks like they'll start with a cheapie then it's sell, sell, sell till you get enough income to allow both of you to commit a day for them. i.e. 500 ties you both up for the day. Now that's fine if you're only filming and leaving the tapes with them, but my guess is you've editing to do on top.
    Ever thought of flipping burgers for a job? - More free time + more money!

On the issue of bribery - Many wedding coordinators will run a mile and would be out of a job if they're seen to be accepting backhanders. It may help a little with clients, but not at the 500 rates you're offering. You're then down to 400 between the two of you for commiting a day to a client.
    Burger King looking interesting now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast